Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
As an addendum, my mum trained in a professional kitchen back in the late 60s, and she taught me how to cook. :blush:

I don't bother eating out, because I enjoy cooking so much. There's nothing better than being sat at home eating something utterly delectable whilst wearing a onesie and fluffy pink socks. :smile:

Anyways, speaking of food, time to make further inroads into that pork pie... :hungry:

My mother did not teach me any cookery. :sad: Most of what I know about cookery is from watching/reading Mary Berry's recipes.

oh! My mother tried to teach me how to make a white sauce. Really she had no patience, not one iota. Teaching anyone anything requires patience.

I have been busy sewing: made one pair of trousers narrower, I find wide-leg trousers too "floppy" round the ankles. This is the first time I have tried to do that, so practiced on an old but comfy pair of trousers (apart from ankle-level floppiness) in case I made mistakes. It is not difficult, more sort of fiddly, and measuring to get each leg the same size. Also shortened another pair of trousers.

This is the swimsuit pattern:

1642343946247.png

D

Deleted member 1258

A nice 23 birthday miles for me earlier.
First cuppa went down well as did breakfast.

View attachment 626780

Happy birthday, :birthday: :cheers: well done on the birthday miles.

Personally I would miss out the garlic.
Most people probably have no idea of how they are fished but unless it states hand dived they are probably dredged. When diving anything less than a hand span was left to get bigger usually under the boat mooring. Many did move off but for a quick order it was handy to have some easily available.

Mmmmm, there's something about seafood and garlic butter and a chunk of crusty bread to mop up the pan juices... :hungry:

It's not just scallops - I think a lot of people have very little idea about how most of their food is produced or sourced.

My mother did not teach me any cookery. :sad: Most of what I know about cookery is from watching/reading Mary Berry's recipes.

oh! My mother tried to teach me how to make a white sauce. Really she had no patience, not one iota. Teaching anyone anything requires patience.

My friend Linda (who I go on walks with) is much the same - she's self-taught in the kitchen.

I guess I'm luckier than most, mum got me started as soon as I was old enough to stir something. I can always remember puttering about in the kitchen and being actively encouraged to do so.

Dad always did the grocery shopping - and usually took me along. For all of his faults as a human being, he really knew how to choose produce and ingredients, and I learned a heck of a lot from him too. He was also an inveterate yellow stickerer, so that kind of... stuck.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My friend Linda (who I go on walks with) is much the same - she's self-taught in the kitchen.

I guess I'm luckier than most, mum got me started as soon as I was old enough to stir something. I can always remember puttering about in the kitchen and being actively encouraged to do so.

Dad always did the grocery shopping - and usually took me along. For all of his faults as a human being, he really knew how to choose produce and ingredients, and I learned a heck of a lot from him too. He was also an inveterate yellow stickerer, so that kind of... stuck.
My late wife was an excellent cook and tended to regard cookbooks as for wimps. Handy for basic ideas but would substitute for anything not readily available and make up her own recipes. I picked up a lot as I would often sit in the kitchen with a dram and have a chat as she was creating something.

My late wife was an excellent cook and tended to regard cookbooks as for wimps. Handy for basic ideas but would substitute for anything not readily available and make up her own recipes. I picked up a lot as I would often sit in the kitchen with a dram and have a chat as she was creating something.

The only time I will truly use a cookbook is when I'm making something that needs precise quantities of ingredients - such as a cake or a souffle or something of that ilk. You're relying on a specific chemical reaction to give you the rise, and messing about with that usually ends up in a frisbee with the density of a house brick... :whistle:

My kind of cooking usually tends to be "look in the fridge and see what wants using up" so likewise, it's quite seat-of-the-pants. :blush:

Scrambled eggs with Parmesan cheese and generous grinding of the pepperpot, piperade with toasted rosemary and sea salt focaccia. I'm full and nothing @Reynard tries to tease us with will work on me until at least tomorrow.

Not even the gingered apple & sultana crumble that I'm about to pop in the oven? I have custard to go with that, too...

Top Bottom