Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It has just started raining here.

Here, too. Just as I was putting the Black Bin out!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Was the influx of visitors exacerbated due to restrictions on travelling abroad due to travel restrictions due to Covid and the advice to staycation.It annoys me when I hear visitors don’t respect the local environment and the local residents

I think it was exacerbated as you say by the restrictions on overseas travel and there is a massive increase in campervans and motorhomes. Many of the motorhomes are hired so drivers mostly not competent.
This problem is not unique to here of course and applies probably UK wide. Road equivalent fares on the ferries are often blamed by making travel to the islands relatively cheap for them.
There is also a massive increase in holiday homes as houses are often bought sight unseen and used for short term lets to tourists. There are at least 7 holiday houses within a few hundred yards of where I live and this is typical of the whole west and north of Scotland and parts of England and Wales as well.
One problem we all face is getting booked on a ferry for any mainland trip and I always travel with a sleeping bag and overnight bag as well as medication for at least a week even for a day trip. Tourists book months ahead and so those of us who have sudden travel needs have problems. There are moves afoot locally to try to get a priority booking system for local travellers and a Danish example to a similar size island is being pushed by our Ferry Committee. We can but hope.

pawl

Legendary Member
I think it was exacerbated as you say by the restrictions on overseas travel and there is a massive increase in campervans and motorhomes. Many of the motorhomes are hired so drivers mostly not competent.
This problem is not unique to here of course and applies probably UK wide. Road equivalent fares on the ferries are often blamed by making travel to the islands relatively cheap for them.
There is also a massive increase in holiday homes as houses are often bought sight unseen and used for short term lets to tourists. There are at least 7 holiday houses within a few hundred yards of where I live and this is typical of the whole west and north of Scotland and parts of England and Wales as well.
One problem we all face is getting booked on a ferry for any mainland trip and I always travel with a sleeping bag and overnight bag as well as medication for at least a week even for a day trip. Tourists book months ahead and so those of us who have sudden travel needs have problems. There are moves afoot locally to try to get a priority booking system for local travellers and a Danish example to a similar size island is being pushed by our Ferry Committee. We can but hope.

I regularly used to visit The Lake District some of the smaller villages are seeing an increase in property being bought by the self catering brigade Last time I visited Robin Hoods bay only had two permanent residents.apart from the local cafe pub etc.

Daughter's Boyfriend tested positive

wutz a "fen"? I imagine that's what Fenway (baseball) Park was named after in Boston?

The Fens is an area in the east of the UK that used to be marshland before Dutch engineers began draining it in the late 17th century. It's very flat, very open and large tracts are actually below sea-level. These days, it's predominantly arable farmland, producing wheat, potatoes and sugar beet, although the area between Downham Market and Kings Lynn is quite famous for its market gardens. :smile:

The Fens is an area in the east of the UK that used to be marshland before Dutch engineers began draining it in the late 17th century. It's very flat, very open and large tracts are actually below sea-level. These days, it's predominantly arable farmland, producing wheat, potatoes and sugar beet, although the area between Downham Market and Kings Lynn is quite famous for its market gardens. :smile:

wow thank you I'm learning so much. & so much that was done here follows what was done there. as-in chopping up hills to fill in marshland

wow thank you I'm learning so much. & so much that was done here follows what was done there. as-in chopping up hills to fill in marshland

There weren't any hills to chop up LOL. They just built a whole load of drainage channels and pumping stations. If the one up at Oxlode ever stops working, then I'm fubared.

20ft below sea level, here... :blush:

Most of the villages are on what passes for high ground - back when, they would've been islands. So if you're cycling between them, it can get a little lumpy. Well, what passes for lumpy out here LOL.

On the flip side, you're rarely out of view of Ely Cathedral, and so it's a great way of navigating. The cathedral is called "The Ship of the Fens" because it's such a prominent landmark.

Top Bottom