Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Shattered this morning, our son fell over the dog on the stairs at 3am, I struggled into sleep at 4am, woke again at 6am, fell asleep eventually, got up at 8am.

Dog is sat blissfully unaware of the chaos he caused and I suspect waiting for me to take him for a walk.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm going to an Ulster - Scots poetry and storytelling evening.

It's funny that what is now culture was bad English when I was at school and probably earned you a whack from the teacher.

When I was at primary school in Central Scotland we spoke two different languages. In school it was English but out of school it was Broad Scots which is a distinct different language which bears a slight resemblance to Doric as spoken in Aberdeenshire.
I can mostly understand Doric once I have been there for a few hours but for a stranger it is impenetrable.
There are now strong attempts to revive the use of Scots language.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Slept well last night as completely shattered after unloading the car.
Now I have booked again to get a day trip for a hospital appointment on Wednesday. Managed to bypass the load of verbal garbage you normally get when trying to book by phone and got a localish office who understood what I wanted without lengthy explanations and misunderstandings.
I still detest the new small ferry but FB had a load of people who probably do not live here saying how wonderful it was to have sailed all day during the storms. I refrained from putting my opinion as I was not able to travel while the ferry was certainly not sailing and had to spend an extra night away from home so a different opinion. Anyway the seating is cramped and most uncomfortable as it was designed for shorter commuter journeys in Norway.

classic33

Leg End Member
Google have my position nailed this morning.
IMG_20221113_103558.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
First lot of washing up ready to do so I suppose better get on with it

@fossyant - glad your sense of taste is coming back. Mine's still awol four months after having Covid.

Went to son no. 2 today for lunch after a ride out this morning - a nice lunch at the Canalside Heritage Centre in Nottingham.

Then to my parents, with some difficult conversations about the next steps (medical treatment, funeral plans). My mum's getting weaker with her cancer progressing fast; it's only a few weeks since diagnosis (stage 4 oesophageal cancer) but she's declined massively in the three weeks since I last saw her in person. Chemo and radiotherapy start at the end of the month to see if she can then actually eat anything more solid, but the chance of it working is apparently low; she'll be shortly unable to drink otherwise.

One of the things we did was set her up to buy online using the new verified by Visa thing, as she'd not been able to since it was introduced. What did she buy? Some nice new bed sheets. As an ex-district nurse she knows what's coming and wanted some new sheets for her bed for when carers (NHS/Macmillan/etc) visit.

As a family we've decided that she'll be here for Christmas, it just may be that we celebrate her last Christmas early.

My sympathies and at the same time my admiration to all concerned for 'dealing with it'.

Top Bottom