Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's the one - I tend to tune out of the announcement after 'Wakefield' as it marks the last stop before Leeds.

Fourth train of the day took what would have been the longer, scenic route from Leeds to York except for the thickening mist and early dark meant that the scenery couldn't be seen.

Now in hotel, showered and waiting for the venue to open. It's all of a 2 minute walk away.
I'd be careful, there's always Wakefield Kirkgate.
Wakefield Northgate is a bus stop.

The fog is/was just to make it a bit if a mystery as to where you were.

tom73

Guru
Time for :cuppa: and a Yorkshire curd tart.

tyred

Legendary Member
When I was at primary school in Central Scotland we spoke two different languages. In school it was English but out of school it was Broad Scots which is a distinct different language which bears a slight resemblance to Doric as spoken in Aberdeenshire.
I can mostly understand Doric once I have been there for a few hours but for a stranger it is impenetrable.
There are now strong attempts to revive the use of Scots language.

I can understand the Ulster - Scots dialect, but I don't really speak it myself apart from a few words. It was mostly drummed out of me as a child and I work for an American company and have Eastern European friends so it wouldn't be understood anyway.

I definitely do think dialects should be preserved.

gbb

Legendary Member
no injury I hope, sounds like a close call

He's going through the mill at the moment, he always was highly strung, suffers badly from anxiety and following a relationship breakdown is on heavy duty anti depressants, they're having a notable effect on his demeanour, he's really sluggish in mind and body.
Sore ribs but OK, thanks ....
Dog stays downstairs from tonight.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can understand the Ulster - Scots dialect, but I don't really speak it myself apart from a few words. It was mostly drummed out of me as a child and I work for an American company and have Eastern European friends so it wouldn't be understood anyway.

I definitely do think dialects should be preserved.
I can understand Irish Gaelic good enough to follow a conversation, but can't speak it.

Top Bottom