Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A question for the chefs on here.

Someone has asked me to try out their spice blends. She has asked me to follow the recipe exactly.

Okay... the instructions are clear and straight forward. However one uses Pork Belly, and when I asked her if I could substitute pork chops or fillet, she said "No!" Eek, looking at pork belly on Asda's website, it looks very fatty. :ohmy: I am not keen on fatty meat of any description.

Can I substitute some other form of pork? Or cut out the fatty bits? Or should I just use pork fillet, and tell her the truth. The pork belly is boiled for an hour before adding it to the spices etc, to make an aromatic mild curry dish.

The other one she has asked me to try out is Butter Chicken. This uses, amongst other things, cream, but I am prepared to add a tiny bit of cream, and use the rest on puddings. Cream, double, clotted, or single is not something I usually buy.

Edited to add: The recipe says "four long strips of belly pork"

I like pork belly, but I use it to make rilettes.

Wouldn't use fillet, as it has no fat and will end up tough. I'd suggest using pork shoulder instead. It's not fatty like belly, but what fat there is, is marbled in the meat. That effectively makes it self-basting and keeps the meat nice and moist.

I concur, by far the best method. Alternatively stand in one place & don't move, they soon learn to avoid you.

Works if you have the mass. For me that would be like a skier standing in front of an avalanche.

Oh, and in cricket/rounders, just as long as you are in the opposite direction to where the batsman will be hitting the ball, and a good long way away.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
It doesn't accept password1234 or 11111111 for some reason!

Try monkey.

mybike

When I was transport manager for Sainsbury's, we have many different systems to operate that required password changes at varying timespans. Monthly, 4 weekly, bi-monthly, 6 monthly.. It drove us round the bend!!

These days the advice is, don't change your password unless you have reason to think it compromised & use a password manager set to at least 15 characters of all types such as 'xZO0^#2PAgwo15@'

mybike

Meteorologists have in the past 24 hours sounded alarm bells after the emergence of a synoptic pattern suggesting a major freeze carrying up to four inches of snow is about to hit the UK.

We had a synoptic at work, lots of lights on it & when something went wrong they would flash. Provided the computer hadn't crashed.

mybike

A question for the chefs on here.

Someone has asked me to try out their spice blends. She has asked me to follow the recipe exactly.

Okay... the instructions are clear and straight forward. However one uses Pork Belly, and when I asked her if I could substitute pork chops or fillet, she said "No!" Eek, looking at pork belly on Asda's website, it looks very fatty. :ohmy: I am not keen on fatty meat of any description.

Can I substitute some other form of pork? Or cut out the fatty bits? Or should I just use pork fillet, and tell her the truth. The pork belly is boiled for an hour before adding it to the spices etc, to make an aromatic mild curry dish.

The other one she has asked me to try out is Butter Chicken. This uses, amongst other things, cream, but I am prepared to add a tiny bit of cream, and use the rest on puddings. Cream, double, clotted, or single is not something I usually buy.

Edited to add: The recipe says "four long strips of belly pork"

Would you not be able to skim off the fat after boiling?

mybike

Works if you have the mass. For me that would be like a skier standing in front of an avalanche.

Oh, and in cricket/rounders, just as long as you are in the opposite direction to where the batsman will be hitting the ball, and a good long way away.

As far as cricket was concerned, I was placed where the ball was unlikely to go.

Top Bottom