Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sheep on the right hand?
Goats on the left?
On both sides, different decks.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Having truly horrible problems getting the rear view and side views of the Higman to match on the scale drawing. :cry:

I suspect the numbers I've been given for wheelbase and chassis width aren't the right ones. Either the wheelbase isn't 78 inches, or the chassis width isn't 29 inches or they're *both* something else.

So I've asked a friend who wrote the book on Superstox racing. Literally. Will see what he says.

classic33

Leg End Member
Having truly horrible problems getting the rear view and side views of the Higman to match on the scale drawing. :cry:

I suspect the numbers I've been given for wheelbase and chassis width aren't the right ones. Either the wheelbase isn't 78 inches, or the chassis width isn't 29 inches or they're *both* something else.

So I've asked a friend who wrote the book on Superstox racing. Literally. Will see what he says.
If the chassis was only 29" it'd be narrower than most internal house doors, 30"!!

It occurs to me that the bodywork is quite angular, so have you considered getting some of this?:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Styrene-...568986?hash=item4b0aaba7da:g:IqoAAOSwjk9ZW7Q1

It comes in sizes up to 3mm thick, which might also be suitable for the chassis, bumper etc.

I hadn't thought of that to be honest. :blush:

On the other hand, I've got rather a lot of assorted crafting stuff knocking around the house already, so it kind of makes sense to use what I've got immediately to hand as opposed to buying yet more stuff in. :blush:

If the chassis was only 29" it'd be narrower than most internal house doors, 30"!!

That's the maximum permitted width for the current Superstox regulations. It's basically a rectangular frame made out of 50mm square box section, so nothing terribly exotic. Engine and cab sit on top, suspension and propshaft underneath. Axles are basically Cortina / Sierra and the then engine was the Pinto. (Now Zetec)

classic33

Leg End Member
Looks a bit wider than 29".

Was for sale at £5000.

Looks a bit wider than 29".
View attachment 568770
Was for sale at £5000.

The older cars are narrower and have a longer wheelbase, so current regs don't apply...

1985_hednesford_01.jpg

Part of the problem I have is that each Higman race car was unique, and Colin had a habit of destroying the drawings each time he completed a car. So no one really knows for sure what is what. I suspect the chassis width on this one isn't 29 inches.

Top Bottom