Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Busy day today. So much so, I've had to write myself a list to make sure I get it all done...

Serves em right for buying Japanese trains instead of British, they would be OK on the lines in Japan (modern and smooth) but on undermaintained British tracks (lumpy bumpy) it's no wonder they cracked.
Bit like when they had to ask a private owner of a vintage 'Deltic' to help out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-13592652

Most of them were built in the UK. Japanese railways do seem to be heavily engineered with more spare capacity than Britain, and they probably benefit from being a rlatively modern system compared to the UK.

Most of them were built in the UK. Japanese railways do seem to be heavily engineered with more spare capacity than Britain, and they probably benefit from being a relatively modern system compared to the UK.
Yes ! Most of ours is Victorian .
I was wondering if some of the cracks might have been caused by running over points as we do have quite a few of them .

So far the electrification down here has been a roaring success. Bridges being closed for 2 years whilst a new monstrosity was put in place . The bed of the track going through Box tunnel had to be lowered. It also had to be lowered going into Bath . They might not electrify Bath due to its Heritage status and because of the eyesore it would create . Station platforms had to be rebuilt to accept the new trains . Power cables for the electricity sub station had to be laid to the track . The gantries for the catenary have gone up willy nilly. Some have been erected in some places with huge gaps between them . Oh! I heard that they were having trouble with fitting the catenary in the Severn Tunnel, some of it was trying to fix it to the roof and the other was water leaking through the roof .
So on the whole a well planned idea ! :whistle:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Morning all. It's Thursday and somewhere on earth it's bin day. It looks like it's going to be drizzly and grey today. As I need to pick up some shopping from different places, I may be better off in long trousers.

It turns out that my metabolism is so used to getting up early, it doesn't need an alarm clock any more.

I'd like to make a "trial ride" to my future employer but the sky looks a bit dark...

Trial ride complete. It's about 15k or 9 miles thirteen chains, fifteen half horses and twenty one dessert spoons or whatever the imperial fractions are. The ride in took 35 minutes and the return took 45 minutes, because there was a headwind and I investigated a longer but more scenic route back.

From experience this year the wind blows north in the morning and south in the afternoon, so I should be travelling with the wind in both directions.

Photos didn't happen as I was timing myself but I'll be riding the route again soon: my legs are telling me they need the practice...

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Trial ride complete. It's about 15k or 9 miles thirteen chains, or fifteen half horses and twenty one dessert spoons or whatever the imperial fractions are. The ride in took 35 minutes and the return took 45 minutes, because there was a headwind and I investigated a longer but more scenic route back.

From experience this year the wind blows north in the morning and south in the afternoon, so I should be travelling with the wind in both directions.

Photos didn't happen as I was timing myself but I'll be riding the route again soon: my legs are telling me they need the practice...
You only finished working at your last place within the last week, you can't be that much out of practice.

Top Bottom