Mundane News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have a challenge. 5 days without alcohol. I'm on a course of antibiotics for an abscess.

tom73

Guru
Been enjoying the sun for the most of the day and getting things ready for our day out tomorrow.
Been a bit of full on day all round still a few things to do before Mrs 73 get back later.
Me and Charlie to have a nice walk this afternoon so it's not all been work.
Oh and as the clippers needed putting away thought I may as well have hair cut.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nice sunny day so sat up in my garden for a while this afternoon.
At least I did for a while until a garden contractor ie grass cutter started up doing at least 3 large grass areas nearby and the noise drove me away.
Nothing of any note achieved as still recovering from the dentist attentions.

Unusual sight as a yacht has anchored in a small bay in the Diorlinn. Unusual in that in the past there would have always been at least one every night and often three or four but most now just tie up at the marina in their floating caravans. I would guess most of them have no idea how to anchor anyway.
It is a lovely quiet spot and we sometimes went down there for a night in good weather such as we have now. It was close enough to home that we even went there just for lunch and a few G&T's sometimes if it was not occupied by any other yachts.

Talking of yotties it is reported that one called the lifeboat out from Oban as their engine would not start and there was not much wind for sailing. It is not that long ago that engines were not common and even then were unreliable so sails were the main method of propulsion.
The modern generation are softies and are probably lost if they had to rely on charts and compass.:wacko:

Had a lovely luncheon of two slices of wholemeal toast, one with venison salami, the other with Kidderton Ash cheese, plus a pear, a banana and two :cuppa:

Taxi service for the parental unit accomplished. I have also acquired six tomato plants - two Shirley, two Alicante, a Tumbling Tom and a Tumbler, and four strawberry plants of assorted varieties. I went for the sturdiest plants for the latter, instead of going for all the same variety.

All the plants are in the garage, and I shall deal with them tomorrow. The strawberries will go into a big planter where the parental can't inadvertently weed them out (or so I hope!), and I'll pop some pots under the runners that will inevitably appear at some point. Those I will eventually plant out into the garden.

Still need a couple of beefsteak tomato plants, but I'll get those in town from the little garden centre in Market Street. I guess I could've gone to Cottenham or Fordham, but it's time & fuel spent for a relatively small quantity of plants, so not really worth my while.

simongt

Guru
Saw a pal a recently riding a new Brompton. Apparently he'd taken his Brompton to a bike shop in London; don't ask as he lives in Norwich.
Whilst it was at the shop, it was stolen so the shop had to provide him with a new Brompton.
But, as he said, it's not 'his' bike that he's become used to. Obviously he will attune to this new one, but I see his point.

tyred

Legendary Member
A sheet of 5mm ply under the legs of a chair or stepladder works well in these circumstances. DAMHIKT.

It's also down to it being a series of point loads as opposed to a load being spread out over a larger area. Same load over a bigger area equals a much lower pressure, which is why you won't sink if the chair or ladder is on a sheet of ply. It's also why it's not advisable to wear stiletto shoes on soft ground.

I have a wonderful camping chair that folds up really compact and pretty lightweight, but that is it's downfall. Try to use it at a campsite and it will usually sink into the ground as the legs are only about half an inch in diameter.

Taking a sheet of plywood on a cycle tour is a little difficult!

Someone suggested the lids from Pringle tubs so must try that.

tyred

Legendary Member
A lovely day here, I escaped to the beach after work for a walk and I sat down for bit and nodded off to sleep in the sun. A few sleepless nights must have caught up with me.

The lovely thing about here is there are so many beaches that you can always find quiet, less well known ones, suitable for the introvert types like me.

I probably should have gone for a ride but I felt tired and I'm going out later.

I'll be having my pie and chips shortly.

Top Bottom