(Music) groups and artists you can't believe you listened to in your youth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't mind the occasional listen to Smoke on the Water.

But...

... you have reminded me to add Black Sabbath to my list who I loved at the time but I now think their music is one unholy racket.

Smoke on the Water was the song that put me off them. I can listen to 'Child in Time' from the live Made in Japan LP but that's about it.

That's not Black Sabbath, they died when they sacked Ozzy
Listen to some of the early stuff like 'Fairies Wear Boots' and 'Sweet Leaf' (hint it's not about Tobacco) not to mention 'Iron Man'

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Listen to some of the early stuff like 'Fairies Wear Boots' and 'Sweet Leaf' (hint it's not about Tobacco) not to mention 'Iron Man'

Sorry I'm going to take issue with this.
The early Ozzy/Sabbath era, up to Sabotage is classic. But to call Dio era not Sabbath is so far wide of the mark its ridiculous. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are not only two of the very best Sabbath albums, they are two of the very best Rock albums ever recorded.

C R

Guru
Smoke on the Water was the song that put me off them. I can listen to 'Child in Time' from the live Made in Japan LP but that's about it.

Dio wipes the floor with Ozzy every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Dio did a very fine job of singing Ozzy era songs, I would like to see Ozzy try Dio's stuff, just for the lolz.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The early Ozzy/Sabbath era, up to Sabotage is classic. But to call Dio era not Sabbath is so far wide of the mark its ridiculous. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are not only two of the very best Sabbath albums, they are two of the very best Rock albums ever recorded.

Never could stand Ronnie James.................see my earlier post about Rainbow.

GuyBoden

Guru
The Fall

I was/am a big fan of their 1980 - 1982 era, although I watched them live in 1978 and many more times after that.

So, from Slates to Perverted by Language is my fav.

Hip Priest is a classic.

Windle

Über Member

As long as it's got Tony & Geezer on it, it's Sabbath 🤘.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Its all so very subjective isn't it this music lark.
I find them beyond bland and boring.. but I do appreciate their standing in Rock music history.

Very subjective - same with all art, hence no rights or wrongs.

If some people like looking at a Shark in Formaldehyde, then so be it. :rolleyes:

Although, on second thoughts, my mate likes Country music - now that is totally wrong. :laugh:

I don't mind the occasional listen to Smoke on the Water.

But...

... you have reminded me to add Black Sabbath to my list who I loved at the time but I now think their music is one unholy racket.

You're clearly a philistine: https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/calendar/brb-black-sabbath/
Black-Sabbath-2023-Hippodrome-1800-x-900-stamp.jpg

(to be fair, I never got into Sabbath. Floyd, Led Zep, Genesis, even Scorpions ... but not Sabbath, or indeed most of the Brit 'Metal scene ... )

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Noooo!

My favourite band ever... some amazing tracks... Kashmir, Trampled Underfoot & When The Levee Breaks etc.

I saw them 'live' at either Hyde Park or the Bath Festival of Blues & Progressive Music (memory fails me for one reason or another).
It was called their 'seminal gig'.. I fell asleep.

Top Bottom