(Music) groups and artists you can't believe you listened to in your youth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
But also one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

The average 'pub rock' guitarist can play just as well these days. Blackmore just had the luck and being in 'the business' (with Screaming lord Sutch) had the contacts.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Still listen to most of the music I listened to when was younger as was into classic rock mainly. Listen to other stuff now, the only bands that spring to mind that are on the whole pretty dire just IMVHO.

Meat Loaf
Deep Purple
Foreigner (Urgent is an ok track though)

Personally disagree with comments about Black Sabbath, Sabotage is my favourite album. They're a bit cheesey at times, but were the pioneers for metal music, just in my humble opinion. The drummer Bill Ward, is awesome. Get why many people don't like them though.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Punk rock. I liked some of it, but most was crap. I was 'into it' to be a bit different, annoy my parents and to finally ditch those horrible 1970's flared pants and jeans, after 7 long years. I bought a pair of black vinyl drainpipes and thought they looked so :becool: :rolleyes:

Edit...and punk rock gave me the chance to ditch my long hair, which I also hated. :okay:

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Mott the hoople.

What was I thinking. :blink:
Two of my all time 'faves'! :becool: :okay:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a guilty secret hidden away in my ancient collection of vinyl....The Edgar Broughton Band's Wasa Wasa. Within two playings, even a teenage me realised it was utter shite.

That's a bit like my Gong album. I talked to a bloke who seemed to share the same taste in music as me, and he enthusiastically recommended them. I played it once, on a friend's turntable and on everyone's insistence, not again.

Going OT, I've never owned a record player, and my entire record collection at its peak only amounted to one of those plastic album cases. I have no idea what happened to it. It went missing somewhere along the line in the 1980s. I have only ever owned cassette and CD players.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I loved the Philip Glass string quartets, still do. :okay:

Whilst Glass recycles his material even more than Vivaldi, I do love his music. The string quartets you mention are really good, and I think form part of the music for "the Truman Show". Saw the man himself playing his piano etudes, though I prefer tbe recording I've got with a proper pianist. Seen him with his band a couple of times too, once was a live music accompaniment to a silent film.

I think my favourite of his are the operas, particularly the "trilogy" -Satyagraha (about ghandi), Aknhaten, and Einstein on the beach. Saw the first two at the ENO in London. Dithered too long buying tickets for Einstein by which time they were £100 so left it, then for my birthday opened an envelope from the Mrs and there were two tickets - then read more carefully and it was a weekend in Amsterdam cheaper than the just the London tickets. Sat down for the show and notice some people pointing and staring in our direction, then realised they were
looking past us, so we turned and there was Phil himself at the end of our row.

Anyhow, did I mention I was a fan?

GuyBoden

Guru
Whilst Glass recycles his material even more than Vivaldi, I do love his music. The string quartets you mention are really good, and I think form part of the music for "the Truman Show". Saw the man himself playing his piano etudes, though I prefer tbe recording I've got with a proper pianist. Seen him with his band a couple of times too, once was a live music accompaniment to a silent film.

I think my favourite of his are the operas, particularly the "trilogy" -Satyagraha (about ghandi), Aknhaten, and Einstein on the beach. Saw the first two at the ENO in London. Dithered too long buying tickets for Einstein by which time they were £100 so left it, then for my birthday opened an envelope from the Mrs and there were two tickets - then read more carefully and it was a weekend in Amsterdam cheaper than the just the London tickets. Sat down for the show and notice some people pointing and staring in our direction, then realised they were
looking past us, so we turned and there was Phil himself at the end of our row.

Anyhow, did I mention I was a fan?

Brilliant, wow, the Taxi driver himself at the end of the row.:okay:

I think that La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Steve Reich etc, the so called minimalist music, was in many ways a return to Tonality after Schoenberg's path descended into musical radicalism.

I remember liking the film Koyaanisqatsi using Philip Glass music, it was quite popular at the time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I suppose Pink Floyd fall into that bucket. I was a big fan as a teenager, then they brought out The Wall, which I rushed out and bought, listened to avidly, saw the movie, even saw it live before I realised that I didn't actually like it at all. But some of the pre-Wall stuff I can happily listen to still.

Last edited:
Top Bottom