(Music) groups and artists you can't believe you listened to in your youth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I loved the Philip Glass string quartets, still do. :okay:

I once saw Kronos Quartet play one of Glass earlier quartets. I went with someone that went on to become a violinist in the LSO. I thought they were going to pass-out or throw up when Kronos played their version of Purple Haze as an encore.

Saw that performed by two percussionists on wood blocks at a very much faster tempo. Quite impressive in its way.

Slick

Guru
Two of my all time 'faves'! :becool: :okay:

Roll Away The Stone was horrendous but with forever live with me as my mate now sadly no longer with us, loved it. It was really before my time, but just because of events it will be forever on my playlist.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bands I liked at some point that I have since re-evaluated and now cannot bear to hear them:
  • The Smiths: mostly because of Morrissey and recognizing that who he is now was always there in the lyrics.
  • Bloody Bauhaus- liked them when I was at school. Perhaps still appreciate the disco/ dub feel to some of the work but overall it seems-- a bit silly.

Venod

Eh up
Alan Hull's greatest has to be Winter Song,

Great song but my Alan Hull favourite is one of his solo efforts, One More Bottle Of Wine.

View: https://youtu.be/GZH83v9kALQ?si=S0WTHGzrtoQvu9KM

AndyRM

XOXO
Being a white teenager from Surrey, I used to listen to a bit too much gansta rap in the late 80s.
Ice T and 2livecrew haven’t aged well.

I went on an Ice T trip based on this yesterday. Got to disagree. And his work with Body Count is awesome.

2LiveCrew I have mixed feelings about. Wouldn't have considered them gangsta particularly. They'd fall into my category of "disco", which I use for metal as well.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Bands I liked at some point that I have since re-evaluated and now cannot bear to hear them:
  • The Smiths: mostly because of Morrissey and recognizing that who he is now was always there in the lyrics.
  • Bloody Bauhaus- liked them when I was at school. Perhaps still appreciate the disco/ dub feel to some of the work but overall it seems-- a bit silly.

I agree with The Smiths , with the odd exceptional track. eg How Soon Is Now

Siouxsie and the Banshees was a band I loved until one day I decided I didn't like them anymore and still can't listen to them. I have no good reason for this .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I remember when I first came across the Smiths I thought for a while they were a comedy parody band, with Morrisey playing the role of angst ridden teenager. A bit like Emo Phipps.

I was a bit baffled when I realised they were actually serious, but hey ho, it takes all sorts.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Five decades back, in my teens, I listened to these and I now cannot comprehend what I liked about their music:

Lindisfarne
Yes
King Crimson
Blue Oyster Cult
Bachman Turner Overdrive

How about you?
All of the above I enjoyed in my youth and readily admit I still do.
Actually, BTO - I think the remainder of their album Not Fragile is a lot better than the hugely overplayed hit single.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tbf, even if I could find something I liked but no longer do...I wouldn't overanalyse the reason why or feel embarrassed about it. It fitted the time, it doesn't now. We all change and grow, some things get left behind.... (like tanks tops, hahaha...yes, I did have them)

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Consider yourself lucky... their new album after i got into them was Momentary Lapse of Reason, saw them on the '88 tour too... it was amazing at the time but only a few short years later, I realised that it was utter sh!te
I’m the other way round; MLOR was the first Floyd album I bought, and I still enjoy listening to it. I even prefer the original’s 80s version to the ‘improved’ remix they released a few years ago. Mind you, I enjoy all eras of their music which I understand makes me a bit odd.

Top Bottom