(Music) groups and artists you can't believe you listened to in your youth.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
You're clearly a philistine: https://www.birminghamhippodrome.com/calendar/brb-black-sabbath/
View attachment 706375

(to be fair, I never got into Sabbath. Floyd, Led Zep, Genesis, even Scorpions ... but not Sabbath, or indeed most of the Brit 'Metal scene ... )

I'm going to see that on the 27th, with daughter 1, who likes ballet and son, who likes Sabbath. Me, I like both.

D

Deleted member 1258

Very subjective - same with all art, hence no rights or wrongs.

If some people like looking at a Shark in Formaldehyde, then so be it. :rolleyes:

Although, on second thoughts, my mate likes Country music - now that is totally wrong. :laugh:

I don't mind a bit of country music now and then.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm not proud and will quite happily listen to stuff i liked when i was kid...
aged 8-10 it was The Shadows, Elvis, Matchbox, Darts, Shawaddiwaddy and of course Shakin' Stevens
then it was NWOBHM for a couple of years: Maiden, Saxon, Sabbath and anything with a spiky font (including Asia!)
then i got into Duran Duran, TFF and U2 for a few years before discovering Pink Floyd, Tull and Gong aged 18

Floyd bore me senseless these days, although i still have time for the pre-DSOTM stuff
I'll never revisit Asia... what was i thinking?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
This lot -

View attachment 706354

Loved them then in my early teens (I think I was about 13/14 when this came out) but, now, I ask, WTF was I listening to? ^_^

Mary Byker is now a frontperson in Pop Will Eat Itself!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have to say I can't think of any band I used to listen to that I don't like listening too any more. But then again I am a music whore and it is my work at the end of the day. I'm listening to all sorts of music for a living and love it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Five decades back, in my teens, I listened to these and I now cannot comprehend what I liked about their music:

Lindisfarne
Yes
King Crimson
Blue Oyster Cult
Bachman Turner Overdrive

How about you?

I listened to some of those.

Lindisfarne - still listen to occasionally. I played "Peter Brophy Don't Care" just the other day.
Yes - Just No
King Crimson - I did listen to them but I've not retained any interest. I can only remember In the Court of, 21st Century Schizoid Man and Cat Food.

The other two were one hit wonders - In my mind at least. I couldn't name another track apart from Don't fear the Reaper/ You ain't seen nothing yet.

I tried my best at the time to like Led Zep because all my mates liked them. But I gave up on that.

I did buy a Gong album "Gnome Radio Invisible" for some reason. But I found it utterly unlistenable at the time so that doesn't really count

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Five decades back, in my teens, I listened to these and I now cannot comprehend what I liked about their music:

Lindisfarne
Yes
King Crimson
Blue Oyster Cult
Bachman Turner Overdrive

How about you?

Lindisfarne, one of my all time favourites went to loads of their gigs, they are still going, Allan Hull was a brilliant song writer.
Yes, did listen to them but not a great deal.
King Crimson, no
Blue Oyster Cult, no
Bachman Turner Overdrive, no

Led Zeppelin
Black Sabbath (before they were labeled metal)
Deep Purple
Cream

In fact a lot of heavy rock stuff was never my favorite but I did listen, I tend not to now, but its a fine line, some of the calmer stuff by the above bands is still played.

I still listen to rock but not the shouty noisy for the sake of it stuff.

Top Bottom