Music Musings...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz71

Über Member
We have Absolute Radio on at work so im quite lucky as i like most of what they play.But i always cringe when anything by Prince gets played.I cant stand him.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I feel the pain of anyone who has to spend a lot of time in a place where they have no control over the music. We have a radio in our office and it is tuned to either Radio 2 or Absolute 80s. They're the least objectionable options, both coming with their fair share of rough and smooth. My criticism of the Bauer Media (Absolute radio) stations is their predictability. They play the same songs over and over, every day. Even with a whole decade of music to choose from, their output is very narrow.

AndyRM

XOXO
I feel the pain of anyone who has to spend a lot of time in a place where they have no control over the music. We have a radio in our office and it is tuned to either Radio 2 or Absolute 80s. They're the least objectionable options, both coming with their fair share of rough and smooth. My criticism of the Bauer Media (Absolute radio) stations is their predictability. They play the same songs over and over, every day. Even with a whole decade of music to choose from, their output is very narrow.

You're not wrong about Bauer. The problem is the way songs are 'tested' and then assigned to list A, B or C.

A guarantees play before or after adverts, so you'll likely hear the same tune 5 or 6 times a day.

B will get you a middle slot, less frequent but still repetitive.

C is where the good stuff is. Rarer than hens teeth on a unicorn but joyous when it happens.

The worst thing though is the advertising. Depending on the contacts the execs have you're in for some total disasters. TFM went through a 6 month travesty of painful sounding adverts about gonorrhea. That was fun...

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Similar reaction here - but I just want to punch Vanessa Feltz rather than the radio.

But that is only after I have finished punching Chris Evans's stupid face. So she would have a long wait.
There is not enough "like's" to add to this post from me.
I'm loving his failures at becoming the new "Top Gear" presenter. Top Gear died when the team followed Clarkson. But, good ol' BBC trying to flog the dead horse.

Should be interesting.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
You're not wrong about Bauer. The problem is the way songs are 'tested' and then assigned to list A, B or C.

A guarantees play before or after adverts, so you'll likely hear the same tune 5 or 6 times a day.

C is where the good stuff is. Rarer than hens teeth on a unicorn but joyous when it happens.

The worst thing though is the advertising. Depending on the contacts the execs have you're in for some total disasters. TFM went through a 6 month travesty of painful sounding adverts about gonorrhea. That was fun...
To be honest, I enjoy Absolute, even though I can predict that while T-Rex is on now, with Bang a Gong, it'll be on again on Friday at 1134.
At least it's not Bruno Mars on the hour with Heart Radio, and their immature "presenters". Plus, I also enjoy listening to the Christian O'Connell breakfast show, makes me look a loon laughing and smiling in my car on my way to work (on bad weather days of course).

Berk on a Bike

Veteran

Absolute 80s and 90s pride themselves on the "no repeat workday" where you won't hear the same song twice between 10am and 5pm or something. Except, the following day you'll hear the SAME songs during that period AGAIN.

This website expresses the variety of music played as a percentage of total output. Absolute is quite low compared to the BBC. Across all the stations listed, it's only 4% which shows how much listeners are spoon fed a pretty meagre diet.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
upload_2016-2-11_17-12-56.png

Top Bottom