musical guilty pleasure .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Cranky said:
Well now I don't feel quite as bad about:

Oh Micky you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind,
Hey Micky (ch-ch, ch-ch) Hey Micky (ch-ch, ch-ch)....

Oh dear.
My ex wife went out of her way to find and buy that a couple of years ago. She was chatting up a young chap by the same name!

Keith Oates

Janner
rich p said:
Whispers (Duffy and Katie Melua):ohmy:

O M G

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
I went to see Errol Brown (from Hot Chocolate) a few weeks ago.
Yes, I remember reading on here somewhere that you were going to see him, was it good? Did he do Emma, that is why I wanted the greatest hits really, what a great song that is.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

excellent stuff guys, keep it up.

I cant believe there is a Shania Twain Fan and a couple of Tatu fans lurking....thats downright shamefull:laugh:

This is becoming quite a cleansing exercise. I regularly belt out Sinatra when in the car and also have a soft spot for Maria Carey.......jesus i cant believe i just said that :ohmy:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
got-to-get-fit said:
excellent stuff guys, keep it up.

I cant believe there is a Shania Twain Fan and a couple of Tatu fans lurking....thats downright shamefull:laugh:

This is becoming quite a cleansing exercise. I regularly belt out Sinatra when in the car and also have a soft spot for Maria Carey.......jesus i cant believe i just said that :ohmy:
Maria Carey!!!! Are you mad? And you reckon liking a bit of Tatu is shameful.

Andy Pandy

As someone who's taste generally lies towards the death metal end of the spectrum, the wife dragged me to see Coldplay recently, and surprisingly I actually quite liked them. The shame is almost unbearable. I feel dirty. Not only is it just liking them, but its being caught in the act.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
As someone who's taste generally lies towards the death metal end of the spectrum, the wife dragged me to see Coldplay recently, and surprisingly I actually quite liked them. The shame is almost unbearable. I feel dirty. Not only is it just liking them, but its being caught in the act.

Satan works in mysterious ways

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Chromatic said:
Maria Carey!!!! Are you mad? And you reckon liking a bit of Tatu is shameful.

hmmmmmm i know i know mate. it wasnt easy to admit that.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Maria Carey has a great voice. It is her choice of songs that is bad. And 'All I want for Christmas is You' is as good as Christmas songs get (admittedly, that is no great recommendation!).

papercorn2000

Flying_Monkey said:
Isn't a guilty pleasure something most people would regard as irredeemably naff? Like John Denver or James Last. There's nothing wrong with liking some well-crafted pop for example - and Tatu were nothing if not well crafted...

My guilty pleasure is a Japanese easy-listening guitar duo called Gontiti, who play simple versions of standards - it's utterly undemanding and in no way cool at all. Oh, and Glenn Campbell. Even my wife laughs when I play him. But I think he has a classy voice and I like the very ordinary romance of his songs: Wichita Lineman is lovely.

PS: I am saying nothing about Rush because I have said everything I have to say about this abomination before!

Only you could post that with a straight face!
OK, I am currently listening to a C+W/Death Metal fusion band from Chad who are wowing the critics with some obscure crap.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
rich p said:
Whispers (Duffy and Katie Melua);)
I (partially) share your shame.:biggrin:

Yesterday on Spotify I went out of my way (and clearly my mind) to listen to some Duffy to see what the fuss was about. I've come to the conclusion that it's about nothing in particular. Some young bint who is trying to sound like days gone by (i.e. a 60's Diva)... not my cup of tea really.

Katie Melua has done some good stuff though. I love 'I Cried For You', nice voice control and such emotion in it.. fantastic song. Not in the same league (IMO) as Eva Cassidy or even Beverley Craven, but a clear and wonderfully haunting voice none-the-less.

In terms of sinful pleasures...

I loved Forever in Blue Jeans as a kid, and also Coward of the County ... should I seek professional help? :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Flying_Monkey said:
Maria Carey has a great voice. It is her choice of songs that is bad. And 'All I want for Christmas is You' is as good as Christmas songs get (admittedly, that is no great recommendation!).
Yes, she has a fine pair of lungs. ;)
FM said previously that a guilty pleasure should be iredeemably naff. I agree, but would add that it might also be summat you once wouldn't have in your life, cos it didn't fit with how you saw yourself, or wanted the world to see you. But now you can see the musicianship and/or craft in it.
To that end, "Oh Lori" by Alessi fits the bill nicely. :biggrin:

Top Bottom