Musical instrumentalists - did you learn because you were made to, or because you wanted to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
I have to admit the "pro" horn is a hell of a lot easier to play than my old one

This is very good point when it comes to youngsters or oldsters learning something. The temptation, and usual route, is to buy a "student" instrument to avoid financial risk should the learning turn out to be a flash in a pan. Often these instruments are harder to play, certainly harder to get a good tone on, and thus enthusiasm wanes. Had one invested in a "pro" instrument then the enthusiasm level might turn out to be a lot higher. And you can always sell a pro level instrument anyway.

Chris S

Legendary Member
We learnt to play recorders that were full of spit. They wouldn't get past health and safety these days.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Bought a guitar and amp with my first proper paycheque, mail order (music shops too intimidating, I did attempt it and was approached by a muso wearing a t-shirt under a suit jacket who asked 'what can I stitch you for sir?')

So, wanted to I guess. Switched to bass a bit later because the only local band I liked asked me to fill in because their guy never turned up for practice at the fungus-y basement studio for the regular Friday evening slot (when presumably all the other bands were in the pub)

I was shoot- still am- but I did turn up.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Didn't do my ears any good. Our drummer really hit them hard, there'd be wood shavings all around the kit afterwards.

Julia9054

Guru
This is very good point when it comes to youngsters or oldsters learning something. The temptation, and usual route, is to buy a "student" instrument to avoid financial risk should the learning turn out to be a flash in a pan. Often these instruments are harder to play, certainly harder to get a good tone on, and thus enthusiasm wanes. Had one invested in a "pro" instrument then the enthusiasm level might turn out to be a lot higher. And you can always sell a pro level instrument anyway.
The brass band movement is still a great way into music without parents having to shell out a huge amount of money. My son played various professional level horns all through his childhood and teenage years lent to him by different bands at no cost to me. I finally bought him his own instrument when he was 17.

bitsandbobs

Über Member

That's a good point. My first violin was a Chinese "Lark" instrument. I'd challenge anyone to anyone to give a passable rendition of the Lark Ascending on that piece of junk.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Didn't do my ears any good. Our drummer really hit them hard, there'd be wood shavings all around the kit afterwards.

Imagine having to take the rims and heads off every so often to clean those wood splinters out. My least favorite part of being a drummer. But the rest of it makes it all worthwhile. Rock on.

snorri

Legendary Member
Music at school was little more than an escape from "real" lessons for me.Then we got a new teacher who enthused nearly all of us to sing in a choir, but the only musical instrument in the school was a piano and pupils weren't allowed to touch it.
i have to admit to envy when I see the range of instruments available to the pupils in my old school nowadays.

roley poley

Über Member
had a mad enforced sadistic piano tutor in my youth but learned to play the recorder later because I wanted to as it pleased me

stephec

Legendary Member
A few years ago I bought a banjo ukulele after watching a George Formby impersonater, I did a one day workshop, taught myself from books, listened to my little girl who'd learnt when her junior school brought a teacher in once a week, and ended up being able to do a passable version of Waltzing Matilda.

It's been a few years since I've touched it though so I'd probably have to start from scratch again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

On the other hand my first horn of may own, a big upgrade from the school loaner, was maybe £300 (2nd hand) back in the day. Looking back was probably a good bit more money for my parents in real terms than my £2k second hand older Alex which I bought recently and which seemed a huge extravagance. Brand new, a pro horn like mine is maybe £7k plus or minus a grand depending on details and make - adjusted for inflation maybe not so much more than my £300 second hand student model back then - which absolutely wasn't a pro model at all, though OK for what it was. That said, maybe the total shyte cheap Chinese instruments you see nowdays didn't even exist back then, so the "student" horn was still a playable thing

Last edited:

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I would always teach myself by ear and not follow music in a book. I taught myself to play the drums too, hence my technique is shite but I can keep a beat.
I’m the same. I was hoofed out of the junior school recorder band when the teacher realised that I couldn’t read music but could pick things up by ear. I taught myself guitar the same way, and can noodle a bit on the uke and mandolin. I’m also into synthesisers but they almost play themselves with a bit of tweaking.

Top Bottom