Musical instrumentalists - did you learn because you were made to, or because you wanted to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's talking me longer than I thought because the difference between ukulele chords and guitar chords are massive. Changing chords on the uke became second nature to me and I could do it blindfolded but the simple act of going from a D to a G on a guitar has got me struggling. Well more doing it fast enough to play 'Should I Stay or Should I Go?' is what's doing it. I want to keep moving my ring finger when that needs to stay still!

byegad

Legendary Member
I was forced to learn how to knock out a tune on a descant recorder, age 18. (Long story, it was a compulsory bit of a course.) In no shape or form could it be described as music.

I swore that one day I would play well.

So, when I retired at 55, I bought a bass recorder, and spent nearly a year getting to the point where I could play reasonably well.

I played for my own amusement for about 5 years, and got a lot of pleasure from it. However in the last decade I've possibly 'played' half a dozen times. Somehow, Once I'd done it to my own satisfaction that was enough.

I wanted to to play So played Bass in the 1960's and about 15 years ago got an acoustic Guitar So can finger pick out some real simple blues licks but must admit the fingers don't seem to go where I tell them so packed up about 3 years ago but You have got to want to do it one of my boys plays keyboards very well though I can't sat I'm into his style I'm a stuck in mud and can only like the Blues lo!

goldcoastjon

I grew up in a musical family: we sang and played Christmas carols every year and my parents played lots of albums.

My third-grade teacher, Marie Larson, was our school's choir director. She had a piano in her classroom and taught us to play plastic flutes and sing: I joined the school choir, then the Junior Choir at church. My siblings and I all took music lessons (first the piano, then our choice). I played clarinet through high school and into college. (My dad played first chair clarinet in the Stanford University Concert Band in the 1920s and I have inherited his Buffet instrument.) I was recruited to play baritone sax in the high school Jazz Band by our new Band Director, Rusty Reed, who updated our music by 25 years, which made us a hit. Honking on a bari sax was lots of fun but I never bought my own "axe." Wish I had...

I have sung bass (now second bass, almost basso profundo on a good day) in church choirs ever since my voice changed in high school; that's more than 50 years. At 68, I am still learning how to sing better, how to be a better musician, and am getting a little lower every year. (I learned at 50 that altos and basses enjoy their prime during their 40s to 60s -- what a birthday gift that was!) I often sing bass as if I were still playing the bari in our high school jazz band and improvise--sometimes an octave below the score now.

I now have my dad's nice Buffet clarinet and keep meaning to pick it up after all these years of only singing, but that has not happened yet. But my vocal cords are with me all the time: I sing and harmonize everywhere -- even on the bike sometimes. ;-)

Top Bottom