Musical Instruments Which Grate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Bagpipes properly tuned and played by someone who knows how to is the best sound in the world,the banjo?All i can think of is george formby standing on the corner aaaagh;)Or was that a ukelayle?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
To appreciate the banjo listen to The Byrds, The Dubliners, The Pogues or many of the other bands who showed how good it could sound.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Kids' violin and recorder.... :wacko:
Jazz violin (a la Yehudi bl00dy Menuhin). I love jazz, and I love lots of claassical stuff with violins and what have you, but NOT BLOODY JAZZ VIOLIN! IT DOESN'T BLIMMING WELL WORK AND IT SOUNDS CR@P SO STOP IT NOW! Got that? :tongue:

Bagpipes aren't a bad instrument, they're just bloody loud! I remember hearing that bagpipe players (bagpipers?) often have trouble with their hearing especially if they practise in enclosed spaces.

col

Legendary Member
Rolling Thunder said:
Bagpipes aren't a bad instrument, they're just bloody loud! I remember hearing that bagpipe players (bagpipers?) often have trouble with their hearing especially if they practise in enclosed spaces.

Not experienced this ? Or even heard of it before.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In my experience it's the people with bagpipers who have trouble with their hearing. The trouble being, they're hearing bagpipes.

Measured using the 'When will that noise stop?' and 'Is a screeching cat preferable?' parameters, the bagpipes wins hands down. A second is too long.

Is it musical? No.
Is it annoying? Yes.

col said:
Not experienced this ? Or even heard of it before.

Yeah on reflection I think it was an article on the BBC where the principal of The Collage of Piping said that no piper should play indoors without ear plugs.

col

Legendary Member
Rolling Thunder said:
Yeah on reflection I think it was an article on the BBC where the principal of The Collage of Piping said that no piper should play indoors without ear plugs.

I see the logic,but its a band or large arena type set that they are played,iv not known or heard of anyone playing in a small room?But in an enclosed room i can understand the possibility?The smallest indoors we practiced in was a hall so didnt have any problems.

Top Bottom