Musical Instruments Which Grate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Andy in Sig said:
Jazz without saxophones would be is like Italian cooking without garlic or tomatoes: inconceivable and probably best left untouched ...

There, I've corrected it for you.:evil:
I don't mind some jazz (I have a soft spot for the Temperance Seven and Bonzo Dog Band - style stuff) but the modern "cool" jazz with a drummer, a bassist, a saxophonist and a piano player all self-gratifying furiously with their instruments just leaves me cold.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rhythm Thief said:
There, I've corrected it for you.:evil:
I don't mind some jazz (I have a soft spot for the Temperance Seven and Bonzo Dog Band - style stuff) but the modern "cool" jazz with a drummer, a bassist, a saxophonist and a piano player all self-gratifying furiously with their instruments just leaves me cold.

RT, then I impore you to Listen to the albun "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis...
So What

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DEC8nqT6Rrk

Freddie Freeloader

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eeECkXU_xEA&feature=related

Jazz is a pretty broad church, I agree there is much that is indulgent, and much that'sdifficult to grasp (like a lot of Miles Davis) but there is a lot that is readily accessable and some of it is pure heaven...

Spliff and chill!

Uncle Mort said:
Well that writes off Miles Davis and John Coltrane then... I like the Temperance Seven and the Bonzos but they bear about the same relationship to jazz as Robbie Williams does to psychobilly :evil:

Fair point about the Bonzos.:tongue:
I have tried to listen to Miles Davis and others like him, but it really, honestly does nothing for me at all. It's not just a matter of never having heard the "right" jazz, it's just really not my thing. Sorry and all that.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
This reminds me of the line in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' when he picks up a clarinet, blows into it, produces a god awful wail, looks straight at the camera and boasts, "Never had a lesson"

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Rhythm Thief said:
That's exactly the sort of thing I can't stand! I don't mean to be rude about it, but I just can't see the point of music like that. The whole sound sets my teeth on edge, just before it sends me to sleep.
Fair enough :biggrin: I'm like that with Neil Diamond!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Mr Phoebus said:
Can anyone get a decent tune out of a blackboard with their nails?

My old Primary School teacher Miss Jones could. Sends the hairs up on the back of my neck thinking about it.

We used to call her 'Dog Boots', cos she wore boots that looked like they were made out of bits of a..........:biggrin:

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Rhythm Thief said:
There, I've corrected it for you.:angry:

The thing is that there is more than just one form of non-trad jazz. I used to share your opinion until one night I heard Moanin' by Art Blakey. It was the perfect start point for me as while it was definitely jazz through and through, I can't imagine that anybody who likes the blues would not love it.

Abitrary

NickM said:
The recorder. An instrument of torture :angry:

What about the tenor recorder? I played treble recorder for a week before I knew I needed something a bit beefier. It also ensured me a place in the school christmas band.

Top Bottom