MUST Overtake cyclist......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J4CKO

I know its been done before but this is slightly different.

Was getting to work, on the private access road, goes from a 30 to 20, was makign decent process due to it beign the one bit with a tailwind, hit 24 mph in the thirty section, checked my mirrors as went into the 20 section and slowed a little to perhaps 22 and moved out to the middle of the road, car approaching from behind but was a fair distance away, looked back and it was waiting and I didnt worry too mcuh as we were on the private road and I was doign the speed limit and it is quite well enforced by the secutiry guard, was just at the middle of the road about to turn, put my arm out to signal and the car sails past, squeezing between my right side and the left side of the road !!!!

It was my old boss from work, completely oblivious to it being me, completely focussed on getting past to turn in 40 yards or so despite me looking, moving over and being in the process of signalling but still squoze past.

I may ask her what she was thinking but to be honest its probably not worth it, she is actually lovely but the driving was very poor.

Anyone else been cut up by friends, family or colleagues ?

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
yep, get it a lot from people at college i know trying to beat me into college :/

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Its annoying in that situation ... do you say anything or not. I find its parents at school, so not direct friends but as they push past on a narrow road, I try to imagine how their children would feel if their parent injured another parent from school.

Luckily friends and colleagues seem to be bike friendly ... I usually find that they are the ones letting me out etc ... and I've not even realised its them (I'm not good at recognising cars ... just boxes on wheels to me).

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Might be worth mentioning it - she may be unaware of the danger she's putting cyclists in, and the next person she does it to might not be so lucky.....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Theres something about being cased in steel and glass that makes nice gentle people turn into dangerous peanuts. Nothing much we can do about it just be aware and allow for it.

grhm

Veteran
I had a work colleague apologise for a close overtake up to a T junction - I was somewhat suprised by the apology as I thought they gave me plenty of room as I was signally to turn left and they pulled past to turn right. I can only assume my nod/wave/whatever I did to acknowledge I'd seen and recognised him was misinterpreted.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes. Various colleagues and friends. In my experiences family and friends will soften their opinion on cyclists slightly if they know you cycle but it won't change their core beliefs or behaviour. What I found particularly amusing was when I passed my driving test I got a lot off congratulatory messages as if I'd joined the human race and could now stop being a subhuman cyclist and doing all that crazy stuff. A friend who cycles has also turned from a cyclist into a motorist.

You're much more likely to be treated well by some stranger that drives well than a family, friend of colleague.

Banjo said:
Theres something about being cased in steel and glass that makes nice gentle people turn into dangerous peanuts. Nothing much we can do about it just be aware and allow for it.
You tube blocked at work so I can't get hold of it but there's a good goofy cartoon which sums that up :ohmy: to :biggrin:, :cry:

Only time I've ever saw another collague on the road was when I first moved to Dublin. I was staying with a collegue in a suburb/village to the south. After sitting in a jam on a bus for a while, he went flying by on his bike. I often wanted to do that my self but never came accross another colleague since on the commute except the ones walking.

OP
OP
J

J4CKO

There is also another colleague, a mate who I went to college with twenty years ago, blows his horn to say hi, I have asked him to not do it as it scares the shoot out of me as usually a horn is then followed by some muppet runnign into you, not a mate saying hello, I suggested that if he really needs to greet me, ten minutes having said goodbye at the end of the day, drive past and put his hand up and wave !

Ben M

J4CKO said:
her
she
she

there's your explanation. she was probably completely oblivious as to what she was doing.

people doing things deliberately to intimidate: usually men
people who plain can't drive very well, and thus intimidate you: usually women

in my experience that is.

Plax

Guru
Yes, couple of days ago. I was turning left (my right of way), they were turning right. Rather than waiting for me to turn, they decided to make their turn at the same time. I presume they thought they'd be faster than me, and not the other way round. The work colleague is a complete tosser so I never said anything as Mr Plax hates his guts and would probably have had a go at him.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Last week I was riding (horse) down a narrowish lane with my friend,both wearing high viz "nervous horse" vests.A woman in a huge 4x4 came towards us,slowed to pass but my horse spooked and swung his bum out into the road a bit. IF she had waited for me to get him past her all would have been well but she was too impatient,revved her engine and pushed passed,clipping him on his back leg as she did.He totally freaked out,understandably,and it was only due to the calming influence of the other horse,and sheer good luck,that it didnt go horribly wrong.As a result I have been off work and out of the saddle(bike too:sad:) and still feel like iv been stood on by a horse. Oh hang on a minute....I was!!!B) The driver meanwhile was long gone.I think Cyclists and horses should have priority on roads because we are far more vulnerable.

Top Bottom