Musty mouldy smell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
As said earlier use an antibacterial fabric spray like febreeze.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Stick old fashioned mothballs in every pocket. It won't cure the mouldiness, but it'll make the coat smell slightly less rank.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
tani-woman-nose-plug.jpg

Attachments

• tani-woman-nose-plug.jpg
    tani-woman-nose-plug.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 10

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looks like just a proofed heavy cotton to me, almost a canvas. That kind of textile can have a slightly musty odour. There's lots on the web about musty-smelling canvas but my best bet would be to wash it at 60 as indicated with a standard laundry detergent then tumble dry it to reactivate the proofing and dry it quickly before it goes musty again. Don't ponce around with energy-saving washes as they don't work.

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
[QUOTE 3544497, member: 9609"]I will be starting to spend a bit of time down at the seabird colonies at St Abbs head, so it will be soon smelling of Guano...(that will hide that mouldy smell)
I am not really bothered about it smelling anyhows, I am just curious, It has been washed, then i then left it in a bucket of soapy water for three days, rinsed it, hung it on the washing line for a few stormy wet windy days , and it still smells the same - and that in itself fascinates me.

as for the material, don't know but this is the label
label_7471_zpss8ddvbem.jpg~original
[/QUOTE]

That will be the "army" smell... they arrive smelling vile... you cannot kill the smell... you might try bicarb... but in my experience they smell like that forever!

albion

Guru
OK, I admit to being an expert on this. Even a 100C wash does not work !

But all you need is a light vinegar solution. Malt vinegar though if it is white I would play safe and go use clear vinegar.
The weaker the solution, the longer the soak. A couple of days maximum does it.

Top Bottom