Mute Swans, how can you tell the difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I volunteer at a place that has a couple of reasonably tame, resident, Mute Swans, that live in the canal basin.

They have built their nest this year right next to one of the footpaths, so people walk within a few feet of them (although some fencing has been put up to help protect them a little bit).

Anyway, one is usually on the nest and the other is on the canal. I've always assumed the female sits on the nest, but someone asked me yesterday

'How do you know the difference?'

And I had to admit that I did not know.
So, can you easily tell the difference between a male and a female?
How do you know?

Also, is that their one and only nest, or would they also have another that they go to outside of the breeding season, as this one has only recently appeared?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I volunteer at a place that has a couple of reasonably tame, resident, Mute Swans, that live in the canal basin.

They have built their nest this year right next to one of the footpaths, so people walk within a few feet of them (although some fencing has been put up to help protect them a little bit).

Anyway, one is usually on the nest and the other is on the canal. I've always assumed the female sits on the nest, but someone asked me yesterday

'How do you know the difference?'

And I had to admit that I did not know.
So, can you easily tell the difference between a male and a female?
How do you know?

Also, is that their one and only nest, or would they also have another that they go to outside of the breeding season, as this one has only recently appeared?

Thanks.

Try this link.
They don't sit in their nests outside of breeding/rearing season.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Try this link.
They don't sit in their nests outside of breeding/rearing season.

Thanks, I looked it up and saw the bit about the 'nob' on the beak. I'll need to take a closer look next time. Also the thing about the female moulting first and plucking a bald patch on her underside to help keep the eggs warmer would explain things as we thought one had been attacked one day. Turns out they were preparing! 😍

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was told that the males are distinguishable by having a thicker neck, noticeable if you see a pair of swans side by side. Can't vouch for this as if you see two birds side by side one is goimg to have a thicker neck than the other, but when it was pointed out to me the difference was significant so I suspect it is true. The person who told me was not a prankster, and is likely too intelligent and scientific to be repeating a myth

A the line goes, "everyone knows a swan can break a man's arm, but no-one knows anyone it's actually happened to"

So the neck thing is bollocks then is it?
Could be wrong but I don’t think a swan‘s bollocks are in its neck. Must be some other reason for difference in thickness

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
It's geese that can break your arms I think. Right b@@@@@@s geese are, they're the skinheads of the avian world.

Top Bottom