My 12 hours of A&E hell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd wager 90%+ of scans show no break yet a large % of patients demand another, and another, and this that and the other....... whilst they are blocking a cubicle..........If you were there 12 hours then they must have been busy and had more patients with more serious ailments, it is Blackburn Royal Infirmary not AccyRI^_^

Get well soon.:okay:
It wasn't so much them telling me it wasn't broken, as clearly that was my worst fear and I was very relieved when they told me it wasn't. It was their insistence that I could walk on it when I told them I couldn't that go me! As most would agree a patient knows his/her own body and whether it can perform certain tasks or not. I think they thought I was imagining it to stay there a bit longer. I know in the past I've stated on CC that I don't mind hospital stays and said I
wish I could've been kept in for longer, when being discharged from the numerous hospital stays I've had, but I certainly didn't want to stay last night as my dog had been left on his own in my flat from 6pm. I kept thinking he'll either pee the carpet or something bad might happen to him,even though he had food and water left and was safe here. I just wanted to get home asap, but I couldn't as I was unable to walk. Yes, I eventually made it. but that's no thanks to the staff who dealt with my case!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I might as well mention it now, as it'll probably come up later in this thread. I've contacted a local solicitors about making a personal injury claim. Some might say that i'm looking to capitalise on the situation, but why not? No, i'm not out to claim for anything as some do. I've received significant injuries due to a lack of action regarding requests by various members of the gym to remedy that 'treacherous' floor. Why they haven't done I don't know,seeing as with it being a local authority gym they're very keen, even over keen on health and safety matters. If I was still self employed i'd be in Dickies Meadow' as my mum used to say. (A polite way of saying 'in the shoot). Yes, I know i'm not self employed now but I could end up with a permanent limp or more upper body immobility added to the bit I already have. Then of course there's the impact it'll have on my day to day life,until i'm fully mobile again.

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
I think you're being quite judgemental ref the staff without knowing the pressures they're under constantly and in the wider context if additional agencies are required such as aftercare /social services/mental health etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think you're being quite judgemental ref the staff without knowing the pressures they're under constantly and in the wider context should additional agencies are required such as aftercare /social services/mental health etc.
Ok, I was happy with just mentioning what I've posted, but i'll now add more. I'm 58 going on 59. I consider myself to be of reasonable intelligence and fair and polite. I feel as if I was being patronised by their attitude. This seemed to worsen when asked how much alcohol I consume each day They told me it was too much. Yes. I agree it is. That's why I went to my GP about it on Monday gone. I might drink 4 sometimes 5 pints of beer a night, but i'm not a down and out ';alky' I feel they thought I was to an extent. I also as usual got the voice impediment discrimination. Yes, even our beloved NHS staff are capable of thinking he's either 'pissed', had a stroke'' or ' simple' because 'he can't talk properly. Even though in these situations I always say when they first find some of my words difficult to understand "I have a speech impediment,so if you can't quite make out what i'm saying ask me to repeat it,or I could change the word for another word meaning the same or similar" This usually pacifies them, but some you can tell no matter how you try to explain it, they think you're one of the previous three thjngs I've just mentioned. After twelve years of this I just know from folks reactions what they're thinking.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
As you stated in the past that you have osteoporosis, you should follow up with your GP

Did the showers have slippery floor warning signs?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As you stated in the past that you have osteoporosis, you should follow up with your GP

Did the showers have slippery floor warning signs?
I've had treatment for my osteoporosis and still have calcium tablets for it.....probably for life. I know a lack of padding(not much meat on my bones) doesn't help when I take a tumble, but hopefully the treatment helps, as it did last year when I fell off my bike but was relieved on getting up to find no breaks. As for the warnings, no it doesn't have warning signs. I think a staff member had put bleach on the floor for cleansing purposes. I did get a faint whiff of the stuff and bleach is quite slimy /slippery when put on smooth surfaces like that shower room floor.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Every A&E visit I make, I'm asked the same question as regards the amount being drunk. I know the date of the last drink. And when given, it gets "serious" about me cutting it down. It's just another set of questions the staff have been given to find out the drinking habits of the nation. Not what they started out in the profession to end up doing.

Given that for the most part, I'll have been picked up of a street, non responsive and "just lying there". Drink and/or drugs is usually the first thought of many.

A&E's have found Thursdays to be the new Friday. Without wanting to knock anyone, they've to find a level they can work with you on. Easier said than done.

The only complaint I can make against any A&E in recent years, is the soon to be A&E manager moaning about how long she was being kept waiting to be seen.

Hicky

Guru
@Accy cyclist , its all standard blurb they have to ask you nothing more, this is from someone who's partner is as I say an A&E nurse so as a sounding tool I hear the broad frustrations within the job and the good moments.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had treatment for my osteoporosis and still have calcium tablets for it.....probably for life. I know a lack of padding(not much meat on my bones) doesn't help when I take a tumble, but hopefully the treatment helps, as it did last year when I fell off my bike but was relieved on getting up to find no breaks. As for the warnings, no it doesn't have warning signs. I think a staff member had put bleach on the floor for cleansing purposes. I did get a faint whiff of the stuff and bleach is quite slimy /slippery when put on smooth surfaces like that shower room floor.
Do you also take Vitamin D daily? You need it to absorb the calcium, and in the UK, most won't get enough from sunlight alone.
How severe is the bone loss, have you discussed bisphosphonate treatment for example (specific treatment for osteoporosis)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Do you also take Vitamin D daily? You need it to absorb the calcium, and in the UK, most won't get enough from sunlight alone.
How severe is the bone loss, have you discussed bisphosphonate treatment for example (specific treatment for osteoporosis)
Yes, I take Ad Cal, which has vitamin D added. As for the latter, no it hasn't been mentioned to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom