My 15 seconds of fame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So here it is. An article in the local Glasgow News paper http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.1817738.0.0.php

On the list of stories for today it is the second story.

It's not quite what I was aiming for (what is that poll all about?!?!), some of the quotes are a little out of context, but it gets the message out there. It is the second listed story in the main news!

No back slapping please I'm not looking for thanks. I was just lucky that First were in the mood to take part and that I knew a reporter in the paper who was a cyclist and passed the story on to his colleagues.

It just a nice positive story for a change. It also demonstrates the power of positive suggestions in a complaint letter. Just by suggesting that First could take part in the campaign to help reduce the type of incident I was involved in resulted in a positive outcome.

I have a couple of ideas for progressing this, although I haven't decided on anything yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Not back-slapping, but! Good on ya! :biggrin:
Anything that promotes the safety and understanding of cycling and cyclists is only to be encouraged.
If it saves lives and prevents accidents, then it is very well done indeed! :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nice one. About as good as you'll get in the local press I reckon. Stand by of course, for the letters page humming with RLJ and pavement cycling rants..

Progressing? Well, First is a national company, innit?:biggrin:

Maz

Guru
Excellent news...we even get to find out your real name.

p.s. take a look at the Poll...look how they've spelt "know"!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

One of my ideas (as I am still chatting with the folk on Bloodbus and we have almost got to a stage where we understand each other!) is to arrange a stunt where a cyclist learns how to drive a bus and maybe shadows on a real route, probably late at night. At the same time a bus driver shadows a cyclist through a busy urban route, after some initial safety training.

The cyclist would get to understand the issues faced with driving large vehicles dealing with the public and dealing with cyclists! The bus driver would get to understand the issues faced by cyclists and why we sometime have the 'fear' of buses. I'm sure something like this would produce a good article for someone to write. Or even a good TV programme! Do I not have the legs for TV?!!? :biggrin::ohmy:

I think this would help to foster relations between the two groups. We need all the allies on the roads that we can get!!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

fossyant said:
Well done.... they know exactly where you ride now........ :biggrin:

Ah but I don't usually wear that colour of top, especially during the winter and my legs are generally hidden as well, so hopefully I will be ok......:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Tetedelacourse said:
Good work Mag. You must have a bit of a slog on your homeward leg.

Yes pretty much uphill all the way. I don't mind it too much but it can be hard work when the wind is in your face, like it probably will be today :biggrin:

Membrane

magnatom said:
One of my ideas (as I am still chatting with the folk on Bloodbus and we have almost got to a stage where we understand each other!) is to arrange a stunt where a cyclist learns how to drive a bus and maybe shadows on a real route, probably late at night. At the same time a bus driver shadows a cyclist through a busy urban route, after some initial safety training.

The cyclist would get to understand the issues faced with driving large vehicles dealing with the public and dealing with cyclists!

I think you're onto a formula that could really make a positive difference. For example after the campaign aimed at bus drivers giving us sufficient space, ask the bus drivers about the problems they have with cyclists, then use that for a campaign to communicate those issues to cyclists.

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:

The cyclist would get to understand the issues faced with driving large vehicles dealing with the public and dealing with cyclists! The bus driver would get to understand the issues faced by cyclists and why we sometime have the 'fear' of buses. I'm sure something like this would produce a good article for someone to write. Or even a good TV programme! Do I not have the legs for TV?!!? :biggrin::ohmy:

I think this would help to foster relations between the two groups. We need all the allies on the roads that we can get!!

It's a lowbrow start, but get in touch with The One Show, BBC1. They often do viewer led things, and are probably desparate for new ideas. Of course it might turn out to only be a two minute slot, unless you could persuade them to serialise it. For which you'd probably need some extra angle - a cycling celeb, or one of the presenters doing it or something...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Arch said:
It's a lowbrow start, but get in touch with The One Show, BBC1. They often do viewer led things, and are probably desparate for new ideas. Of course it might turn out to only be a two minute slot, unless you could persuade them to serialise it. For which you'd probably need some extra angle - a cycling celeb, or one of the presenters doing it or something...

Yes it is very lowbrow (I actually hate fly on the wall type stuff!), but that is the sort of fluff that the public seem to like, so it would probably reach the widest audience. Depending on how it is done it could actually be done in a quite serious manor, although I'm not sure exactly where it would slot. I wonder if Jon Snow would be willing to drive a bus?:biggrin:

I do also plan to try and expand the campaign itself using the publicity from this as a springboard. I just need to sit back and decide what is the best way to take it forward

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I just found this on page 12 of the actual paper in the papers opinion section:

Planning for Cyclists can Ease Gridlock

All drivers should have a look at David Brennan's hair-raising video of himself cycling to work in Glasgow.
The sight of the double decker bus suddenly looming into view shows how scary it can sometimes be on two wheels.
Dr Brennan sent the tape of one of his near misses to bus giant First and was pleasantly surprised when the firm agreed to highlight his concerns.
The company deserves great credit for its subsequent campaign reminding bus drivers to give cyclists room.
Other bodies could do with taking a leaf out of First's book by helping to encourage more cyclists on the road.
Cycling is a healthier option and can also help ease congestion.
More bike-friendly measures should be considered by the city council while the police must ensure existing cycling lanes are kept clear of other road users.

I like this (despite the call for more cycle facilities!). I wonder if I can get the paper involved in the campaign......:biggrin:

Top Bottom