1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 1st clipless moment!!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Bugner, 8 Jun 2008.

1. Bugner

Bugner New Member

Just rading a previous thread that mentioned clipless moments. Had my 1st today. Have been clipless for a couple of weeks for my commutes. Today was out with the Mrs and went a bit ahead, decided to circle slowly to wait for her to catch up and just circled a little bit to slowly and a bit tightly.

I have to admit, I felt a right plonker lying on my side with my bike on me and still clipped in. Grazed elbow and knee and a couple of toots from a laughing passing motorist.

Was getting confident with them, not so cocky now:blush:!!

2. I've not had a clipless moment......since my last clipless moment :biggrin:, welcome to the club.

3. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

Always happen when you get too cocky.
    Welcome into the large club of clipless moments, its brilliant fun isnt it. :biggrin:

4. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Welcome to the club, it happens to all of us, eventually, and yes you always feel a fool immediately after it happens :biggrin:

5. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I've never done it
    (on the road bike, have a couple of times on the mtb )

6. DinasBran

DinasBran New Member

Bugner - I had my last (near) clipless moment under the same circumstances, only I managed to get my foot out of the pedal just before I toppled over. Still, it doesn't stop your heart from rushing up to your mouth. At the moment I'm having a slight problem clipping back in once I've stopped and started off again. It seems to take 2 attempts and always at a critical point like trying to cross a really busy and fast road.

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Bugner, you've just joined the same club as most of us but just remember care is needed not to subscribe too often. Yes we all feel stupid when it happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

What i found was funny was the foot i wanted out had come out, but it was too late. :biggrin:
    DinasBran, this is where riding with one foot comes into play. I used to go one footed and shoot off. Also riding in a group, i often got a push from someone to get me going if we were going across a junction.

9. Slim

Slim Über Member

After going clipless for 2 years I had my first 'moment' this morning.

In my case at least it's probably down to complacency. When I'm in traffic I get ready to get my feet down quite early. This morning I was almost doing a trackstand.

Oh well - nothing got damaged and at least the passing pedestrian asked if I was OK without laughing.

10. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Always good to hear about someone's first time! :smile:

11. doyler78

doyler78 Well-Known Member

Mine was the old pull one foot out and lean the other way moment and pull the chain off at the same time in the middle lane of 3 lanes of traffic. The drivers looked more shocked than laughing. I think they probably wonder how the hell anyone could fall off a bike :wacko:

Most of us have been there

12. yenrod

yenrod Guest

You feel such a jerk when you fall over and have to take the shoe off to remove it from the pedal!

13. punkypossum

punkypossum Donut Devil

What I don't understand is that everybody seems to get regular clipless moments, but nobody ever seems to damage their bike...Is there a technique to this?

14. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

yes - your hip/thigh tends to take the brunt of the impact not the bike

15. Wrong, your pride take the brunt of the impact;)