My 20 minute Cragg Vale hill climb challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Where do you find the wind speed and direction you mention on your attempts for the climb btw?
I look at the BBC weather forecast and then see if I agree when I experience the wind for myself. You can get a really clear picture of the wind strength and direction by looking at the surface of the reservoir at the top. I have hardly ever seen it flat.

Normally, the ripples come towards your right shoulder from the Littleborough direction. Windier still, and you get small waves, say 6 to 9 inches. From time to time, you get waves of 12-18 inches. On one nightmarish day, it was almost impossible to ride into the wind and giant waves were breaking over the rocks and washing right across the road!

I could be wrong about the numbers, but I reckon 5 mph is enough to feel that your speed is being significantly knocked back. 10 mph is getting hard. 15 mph is very hard, and 20+ mph is a nightmare, especially when it is gusting faster and swirling about.

400bhp

Guru
I'll be up there on the 10th April. Probably have a rucksack but hey ho.

Plan to be around those parts more often after that.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am still riding up the CV climb regularly and more often than not I am now doing it on my Cannondale. I feel fitter day by day, so in a few weeks time when I get a decent conditions (sunny, not too much wind) I will see what I can do on the stiffer, lighter bike. I would hope to take at least another minute off my current PB, so that would be about 28 minutes.

The TdF is getting ever closer and some local nuts decided to celebrate the Tour (and the local piano festival) by constructing an 18-rider cyclist-towed trailer and dragging a grand piano up the climb with it, while several pianists took it in turns to play specially composed piano pieces and some spontaneous boogie-woogie! Highlights on YouTube.

I rode up there again today and workers were busy resurfacing the road by the reservoir. When you feel a beautiful new road surface beneath your wheels, you can't help but wish that all roads were like that!

Svendo

Guru
Ah, I wondered when they'd be doing the small bit of Rochdale and Lancashire's roads. That section was in a terrible state, especially at the junction where it was cratered all over. I've been wincing at the thoughts of a 20mph+ peloton bouncing over it.

400bhp

Guru
I'll be up there on the 10th April. Probably have a rucksack but hey ho.

Plan to be around those parts more often after that.

Gah, plan has been scuppered today-long story.

There's a small chance I could be up there on saturday but more likely some point over easter.

Venod

Eh up
Now I have my bus pass that gives me half price train travel on Metro Trains within West Yorkshire, I thought I would try Cragg Vale today, £2.90 from Pontefract to Hebden Bridge :thumbsup:

The wind was a North Westerly fairly brisk, it was strange, felt like a head wind going up the vale at one point than a cross wind don't know if it helped my any, I caught one young lad who got on my wheel and sprinted past me to the white line at the top of the climb, I passed him again before the junction :smile: we both passed a male/female couple just before the top.

As climbs go it's not the hardest but it is long, the decent to Ripponden was slowed by road works, if they had not been there I was in danger of becoming airborne.

I can't see me getting anywhere near 20 minutes

http://www.strava.com/activities/130194323/

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I can't see me getting anywhere near 20 minutes

http://www.strava.com/activities/130194323/
23 m 12 s isn't that far off! Just nibble away at it once a month and see how you get on?

I am feeling good after yesterday's tough audax ride so I think I will try again soon, using my Cannondale. I will still be taking about 28-29 minutes so I have a long way to go, but should be able to knock 15, 30, 45 (whatever) seconds off at a time if I leave a few weeks between timed efforts.

Venod

Eh up
23 m 12 s isn't that far off! Just nibble away at it once a month and see how you get on?

I am feeling good after yesterday's tough audax ride so I think I will try again soon, using my Cannondale. I will still be taking about 28-29 minutes so I have a long way to go, but should be able to knock 15, 30, 45 (whatever) seconds off at a time if I leave a few weeks between timed efforts.

Yes I will give it another go, a tail wind would make a big difference, but does it still count ?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes I will give it another go, a tail wind would make a big difference, but does it still count ?
Sorry, but no! :laugh:

I had in mind doing it as a pure physical challenge and that implies setting the time on a still day or one with an unfavourable wind. Almost anybody could do it in 20 minutes with a 60 mph tailwind!

Last edited:

tompb19

I rode up Cragg Vale today... in over 36 minutes. But I was very proud of myself all the same... that was a bit of a cycling goal I had set myself. Holme Moss next maybe :\

I can't wait to do it again when I have a better bike, really enjoyed it. Beautiful day for it mind.

Venod

Eh up
I rode up Cragg Vale today... in over 36 minutes. But I was very proud of myself all the same... that was a bit of a cycling goal I had set myself. Holme Moss next maybe :\

I can't wait to do it again when I have a better bike, really enjoyed it. Beautiful day for it mind.

Well done I picked the wrong day, today was a cracker.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well done I picked the wrong day, today was a cracker.
It was!

I was up to the reservoir today, but I rode up from Littleborough instead of Mytholmroyd so I didn't bother timing myself.

Friday afternoon is looking good for a non-wind-assisted-but-not-too-wind-hindered time! The forecast suggests a slight tailwind in the morning, swinging round to being a slight cross/headwind later. I might have a go at a sub-29 minutes time.

tompb19

13878323263_64738bb8aa_c.jpg

I had never seen it looking as nice up there...

Top Bottom