My 20 minute Cragg Vale hill climb challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I rode up Cragg Vale today... in over 36 minutes. But I was very proud of myself all the same... that was a bit of a cycling goal I had set myself. Holme Moss next maybe :\

I can't wait to do it again when I have a better bike, really enjoyed it. Beautiful day for it mind.

I have been up Holme Moss several times but I only have one ride recorded with GPS for comparison, I recall the ride up the Moss was into a bit of a head wind.

Holme Moss Segment: Holmfirth to Holme Moss Summit: Distance, 4.5mile: Climbing, 1214ft 5% : Time: 31:20

Cragg Vale Segment: Cragg Vale V9116 course tt: Distance, 4.7mile: Climbing, 945ft 4%: Time: 23:12

I just selected a similar length segment for comparison while the Cragg Vale one is all uphill there is a flattish bit on the Holmfirth to Holme Moss Summit before the climbing begins proper.

http://www.strava.com/activities/70912076

Pick the right day and the Moss is a great ride, pick the wrong day and it can be a nightmare.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I went out this morning on a ride through Todmorden then for no reason i decided to try and go up through the lanes,i got up Cross stone Road but Crossley New Road was a hill to far and ended up walking the middle section.
Then down Badger lane (that has to be steepest decent i have ever done) and through Hebden to Crag Vale
Setting off on the line next to the sign.
There was a 6-7mph cross wind but in also as it was only 1 degree the air was thicker in density , thus a slower speed - clutching at straws etc
November i did 31min 30 sec , Jan was 30min 30 sec , today it was my best yet (on my new lighter bike) was 28min 14 seconds
DSC02103.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rode up there yesterday afternoon with my pal Bill. I had intended to time myself, but I thought it was a tailwind lower down so I didn't bother. It did turn out to be more of a crosswind, as shown by the slight ripples on the reservoir, heading in the direction of Littleborough. I only managed 45 kph (28 mph) on the descent to Blue Ball Road because of the wind coming back up the hill.

Windy conditions today, so no timing.

DD - I just noticed the distance on your Garmin ... That is for the full hill. We are talking about the HC course which is shorter - you probably did more like 26:30 on that! :bravo:

Chrisc

Guru
That last is a great effort Colin. And impressive and heartening to see that continuous improvement each time out.
I enjoyed the climb in Jan and will be back for another crack, especially now I've been shown the nice Blackley climb out of Sowerby to get back home.
Look forward up seeing your time up there on the Cannondale in summer. :-)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was out on the bike this afternoon and did a hilly 11 mile warm-up before I even got to Mytholmroyd to tackle the Cragg Vale climb. I wasn't going to time myself up the climb today because I thought I might get a lot of wind assistance and I don't want that because it makes the time meaningless. As it happened, I felt like the swirling, gusty wind was actually a bit of a nuisance so I changed my mind and made an effort against the clock.

I have lost more weight since my last timed ride, and I was on my Cannondale, which is lighter than my Basso. I reckon the total weight saving was about 7 pounds, which is significant. The bike is also stiffer, has nice latex tubes, and a cleaner, less worn transmission. On top of that, I think I did get a little bit of wind assistance. Not a huge help, because the wind was mainly westerly, but a bit here and there. Certainly more than it hindered me, at any rate. I have decided to claim the time, nevertheless. Even if I got 30 seconds worth of help, I took a lot more than 30 seconds off my previous best (a big 2 minutes and 12 seconds chunk in fact!) and it will only take another few weeks to gain 30 seconds worth of extra fitness. So, here is my updated Cragg Vale HC times list:
  • 19/05/13: 39:15 [Finished first Warfarin treatment regime but already reclotting!]
  • 25/10/13: 35:15 [8-10 kph cross/headwind]
  • 04/11/13: 34:26 [ ditto ]
  • 10/11/13: 32:19 [ ditto ]
  • 25/11/13: 31:19 [5-7 kph cross/headwind]
  • 11/12/13: 31:11 [8-15 kph cross/headwind; chilly]
  • 28/02/14: 29:49 [5-8 kph cross/headwind; chilly]
  • 09/03/14: 29:11 [5-8 kph cross/headwind; warm]
  • 19/04/14: 26:59 [10 kph mainly cross/slight tailwind; chilly] YAY!!! :becool:

I will go out again soon and do it when there is no hint of a tailwind, to confirm that it wasn't mostly down to the wind. It certainly didn't feel like it - my lungs, heart and legs felt good. It was actually my aching back that stopped me making more effort.

Perhaps I will manage 25:xx in May?

Chrisc

Guru
Fantastic job Colin! Unless the wind is less than a few degrees off your back I don't think it helps much and any crosswind is a hindrance so you should just take this one. Smokin! :-)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Great effort:thumbsup:
Fantastic job Colin! Unless the wind is less than a few degrees off your back I don't think it helps much and any crosswind is a hindrance so you should just take this one. Smokin! :-)
Thanks - I was pretty chuffed!

I always check my time at the bus-turning area on the steep section about halfway up the climb and back off if I am not heading for a good time. Today, I reached the 'checkpoint' in 12:55 and knew that I could take a big bite out of previous (recent) PB.

I tell you what though ... I must have been fitter than I thought back in 2006 when my (current) avatar photo was taken. I did 23:30 then for the full climb from the sign at the bottom to the sign at the top and I wasn't busting a gut, and got fitter later in the year!

I need to do something about my sore back though - it is letting the rest of my body down whenever I make a hard effort. I'll try doing 'The Plank' each day and see if that helps.

Chrisc

Guru
Is the plank good for your back? I was given that for core strengthening. I suppose if you beef up the core everything follows tho?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Is the plank good for your back? I was given that for core strengthening. I suppose if you beef up the core everything follows tho?
Well, I think my core is pretty weak too! :laugh:

These exercises (which include 2 versions of the plank) look worth a try.

I can get my legs, heart and lungs working pretty well, pretty quickly, but it seems to take me many thousands of miles of cycling to sort my back/core out on the bike. I'm sure that dedicated exercises would be quicker.

classic33

Leg End Member
You will notice that the usual potholed surface has been replaced by something rather nice, not entirely unconnected with the fact that the Tour de France peloton will be riding up the hill in less than 3 months time!
It has nothing at all to do with the Tour going up that road. It was in need of repair.
Out of interest has your time come down since they started upgrading the road surface.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It has nothing at all to do with the Tour going up that road. It was in need of repair.
It certainly was, after years of neglect. The timing is nothing but a coincidence! :thumbsup:
Out of interest has your time come down since they started upgrading the road surface.
Most of the work is just hole-patching, so no, but on a decent stretch of new tarmac you can ride about a 1 tooth higher gear for what feels like no extra effort, so I would be slightly quicker if they resurfaced the whole climb.

Chrisc

Guru
Well, I think my core is pretty weak too! :laugh:

These exercises (which include 2 versions of the plank) look worth a try.

I can get my legs, heart and lungs working pretty well, pretty quickly, but it seems to take me many thousands of miles of cycling to sort my back/core out on the bike. I'm sure that dedicated exercises would be quicker.

Yes they will. I was having physio for an arm/shoulder problem and as part of the assessment she made me balance on one leg. She actually laughed at my inability to stand on one leg and told me my core was jelly. The plank is good for this and some other tension exercises all of which can happily be done lying on your back even in bed. The difference its made to me is incredible. Everything hangs on your core and riding the bike won't actually do much to strengthen it at all. You'll find a big benefit to your riding once you get it sorted.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes they will. I was having physio for an arm/shoulder problem and as part of the assessment she made me balance on one leg. She actually laughed at my inability to stand on one leg and told me my core was jelly. The plank is good for this and some other tension exercises all of which can happily be done lying on your back even in bed. The difference its made to me is incredible. Everything hangs on your core and riding the bike won't actually do much to strengthen it at all. You'll find a big benefit to your riding once you get it sorted.
I like the idea of exercises to be done in bed! :laugh:

Any (sensible, non-NSFW) examples?

Chrisc

Guru
Just tense your core. Lie flat, put your fingers low down near the unmentionables on the abdomen wall on one side (doesn't matter which) and try to feel the tension in the area without moving your abs themselves. Physio described it as like trying to stop a fart escaping... bit like ladies pelvic floor exercise. This was my first step in learning to isolate those core muscles. Once you can feel that tension and do it at will you just tense and hold for 5 seconds, 5 times and that's it. Not trying to develop big muscles here, simply trying to re-activate the largely dormant ones into firing when required.
You can do this before you nod off in bed. :-)

At first you'll likely be firing your abs and not able to do this without holding your breath, eventually you'll be able to relax everything and fire them up totally independently while chatting to someone which is what they should be able to do. They may be small but they provide so much balance in walking, pedaling, supporting your back muscles sitting up and general core stability it's incredible we function without. Well, we don't really which is why so many people suffer general pain in the area. Weak core = general instability and the muscles that are forced to try and compensate are in the wrong place to do the job and let you know about it eventually.

Top Bottom