My 20 minute Cragg Vale hill climb challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
I was out again on this climb today. Pretty good tailwind, so I can't really count it, but it was fun to go sub 30 mins which is 5 minutes faster than I've done before!

Svendo

Guru
It has nothing at all to do with the Tour going up that road. It was in need of repair.
Out of interest has your time come down since they started upgrading the road surface.

This is borne out by the fact the section from Turvin Road to the border with Calderdale on the A58 is still as lumpy broken and badly repaired as ever.

Managed to just beat 20 minutes for the HC today, albeit with a cross tailwind. But unlike the scrupulous ColinJ I'll happily count it! Didn't start out intending to push, but a series of slower cyclists and then the benefit of the wind had me going for it.

tompb19

Cycled up Cragg Vale today for the second time and I know I got a better time, but for whatever reason Strava didn't start until after I had got my phone out at the top :sad:. I'll just have to do it again now!

A bloke overtook me after the Sykes Gate junction - so I think I was spurred on a bit trying to keep up with him.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cycled up Cragg Vale today for the second time and I know I got a better time, but for whatever reason Strava didn't start until after I had got my phone out at the top :sad:. I'll just have to do it again now!

A bloke overtook me after the Sykes Gate junction - so I think I was spurred on a bit trying to keep up with him.
If your phone is relying on a phone signal to track you then it might not work on the climb because some/all networks lose signal halfway up. If the phone can track you using GPS then it should work?

Granted, it's probably not as long, but the longest continuous gradient around here that I can think of is on the A636

I'm thinking of the section from Clayton West, all the way through Denby Dale, Upper Cumberworth, all the way up to the 'Sovereign cross-roads', where it meets the A629 (Huddersfield-Penistone-Barnsley road)

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just out of curiosity: which reservoir does this climb finish at? I've been virtually touring it using Google StreetView. Does it just continue from Cragg Rd on to Blackstone Edge Rd, or is there a turnoff somewhere? Looks like a nice climb, though :smile:.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just out of curiosity: which reservoir does this climb finish at? I've been virtually touring it using Google StreetView. Does it just continue from Cragg Rd on to Blackstone Edge Rd, or is there a turnoff somewhere? Looks like a nice climb, though :smile:.
The official hillclimb starts some way along the road and goes straight up the hill on the same road, finishing just before Blackstone Edge reservoir. I think we put full details in the first couple of pages of this thread.

Steve H

Large Member
Possibly a good training event for those wanting to improve their times!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 50

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The official hillclimb starts some way along the road and goes straight up the hill on the same road, finishing just before Blackstone Edge reservoir. I think we put full details in the first couple of pages of this thread.
Sorry, @ColinJ, I guess I just didn't read it properly :smile:. Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll get a chance to ride it myself one day.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I went out on a ride today which included the Cragg Vale climb, but I did a good hilly hour of riding before I got to the start of the HC course. I hadn't intended to time myself but it was the first time that I had done a proper warm-up before getting to the start line, and the weather conditions seemed ok, so I thought I would give it a go.

I got stuck in and realised straight away that I was feeling pretty good. I was watching the GPS and it looked like a sub-26 minute ride was on, but then disaster struck - my GPS lost satellite lock under tree cover going up through Cragg Vale and its timer stopped! :cursing:

There didn't seem much point in busting a gut when I couldn't time my ride, so I sat up and meandered along for a while, then I looked down and realised that the bloody GPS had come back to life and the timer had 'freewheeled' while the GPS was reacquiring the satellites! I hesitated for a couple of seconds, and then thought I would accelerate and see if I could still do a reasonable time.

Then my phone started ringing. That's about the first time I have ever got a signal up there! It rang, and rang, and rang ... Bloody annoying it was, but I was not going to stop and answer the damn thing.

This was the first time since I got ill that a serious physical effort has not made me feel sick immediately. (I did feel a bit rough for 30 seconds or so when I got to the finish, but that is a big improvement over how I was a few months ago!)

So, my ride had suffered a tech problem on the way. I was also riding my Basso, so that was about a 4 pound weight penalty over my Cannondale. What time did I do ...?

Disclosure: When I stopped at the top, I realised that I had picked up a cross/tailwind on the exposed part of the climb, so I think this ride got about as much wind assistance as my previous post-illness PB ...

I took 1 minute and 22 seconds off that time!

• 19/05/13: 39:15 [Finished first Warfarin treatment regime but already reclotting!]
  • 25/10/13: 35:15 [8-10 kph cross/headwind]
  • 04/11/13: 34:26 [ ditto ]
  • 10/11/13: 32:19 [ ditto ]
  • 25/11/13: 31:19 [5-7 kph cross/headwind]
  • 11/12/13: 31:11 [8-15 kph cross/headwind; chilly]
  • 28/02/14: 29:49 [5-8 kph cross/headwind; chilly]
  • 09/03/14: 29:11 [5-8 kph cross/headwind; warm]
  • 19/04/14: 26:59 [10 kph mainly cross/slight tailwind; chilly]
  • 17/06/14: 25:37 [10 kph mainly cross/slight tailwind; warm] YAY!!! :becool:

I reckon that riding the heavier bike and sitting up for a minute or so probably cost me about as much time as the breeze benefited me, so that time is about what I would have done on a still day on the Cannondale without slowing down mid-climb.

I am very pleased with my progress. I am still taking big chunks off my time, so that tells me that I am nowhere near my best yet. (I did do a much quicker time than that a few years ago, but that was then, and this is now - you know what I am talking about! :whistle:)

Next target - a sub-25 minute climb, without any wind-assistance.

Top Bottom