My 99 pence bargain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I spotted a frame on https://www.spokestrade.co.uk/ thanks to a link from another thread on this epic forum.

Its an 83 Frontiera, made in Carlisle using Reynolds 531c tubing.

It was listed as 99 pence and was posted in May 2016.

It seemed to be still for sale but I doubted that it was - so I messaged the seller - and it was for sale.
My next set of questions was careful - is the price correct etc. The owner was basically donating the frame for free as they were downsizing their property. The seller had the groupset and handlebars for sale but at realistic prices. The frame however seemed to be a freebie.

On top of the 99 pence price I donated some money to a charity (I chatted to the owner and agreed which cause ) and I had to pay to get it home via Paisley Freight (£23) - which is an awesome service.

Frame is is excellent condition - threads on mech hanger good, headset /forks perfect, bottom bracket perfect.

Owner said it was nothing special, but I disagree.

Last year I broke my steel road bike - the rear mech caught and it bent the hanger - repairable but not really economic to do so. I like steel bikes very much but my daily ride is a Giant Defy.

I've been scouting for a replacement frame for a year.

PARTS I NEED:
Gear shift converters - I need to get some gear lever converters to put on where the gear shifters would go. I have them on my old steel frame but they won't budge! What are they called and where do I get them!

Seatpost shim - my seat post is a teeny bit too narrow

More to follow i'm sure.

really.jpg
WP_20160614_20_09_56_Pro.jpg

The above pic is me throwing on some modern parts to get it running - I will try and use as many retro parts as much as I can and I will certainly de-sticker the wheels.

Anyway - I love it!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Love it when a bike gets another life! Looking good, keep us updated.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Better looking than Campagnolo ones.

$_57.JPG

These are the ones I can't remove. I like the Ribble ones.

The above pic is me throwing on some modern parts to get it running - I will try and use as many retro parts as much as I can and I will certainly de-sticker the wheels.

Anyway - I love it!
I quite like the "updated retro" look of it! You could use a piece of coke can (other drinks cans are available) for a shim

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I do have an older seatpost but it is stuck in another frame - I think I will have to stick with this. I think it is a campy.

List of parts I need is now....
1 New chain
2 Downtube frame cable stop converter
3 Jockey wheel for Tiagra derailleur 9 speed (got a cracked one)

Top Bottom