My 99 pence bargain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have new chain and cassette but.... I think I have too many chain links and could lose a couple.

simple fix hopefully then , its good fun this tinkering with old bikes

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
simple fix hopefully then , its good fun this tinkering with old bikes

So if a chain has little or no tension it will just shift to a smaller cog ? Makes sense.

I like setting bikes up, I like problem solving, I like getting them running sweet, but it takes me hours and hours to get some things right. I already took the crankset off twice to sort out the play - I have no idea why it won't close up fully - I will give it another go this evening (Wife is out!!!)

As for the gears, they are always a pita.

I do enjoy it, but sometimes I just get nowhere with my fixes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So if a chain has little or no tension it will just shift to a smaller cog ? Makes sense.

I like setting bikes up, I like problem solving, I like getting them running sweet, but it takes me hours and hours to get some things right. I already took the crankset off twice to sort out the play - I have no idea why it won't close up fully - I will give it another go this evening (Wife is out!!!)

As for the gears, they are always a pita.

I do enjoy it, but sometimes I just get nowhere with my fixes.

All sounds familiar

mikeymustard

Veteran
I've just reread this thread twice to see if i missed something: are you using campag brake shifters with shimano derailleurs? Cos if you are this could be a large part of the problem.
Also, with your bb have you got the right one for the crank, and is it the right way round?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I've just reread this thread twice to see if i missed something: are you using campag brake shifters with shimano derailleurs? Cos if you are this could be a large part of the problem.
Also, with your bb have you got the right one for the crank, and is it the right way round?

Yes, I am using Campag Shifters with Shimano Gearing - surely they do the same thing, but perhaps they do it slightly differently - I am trying to get some shimano shifters to be fair - stupid of me to give a set a away before!

The BB goes on nice and they are threaded correctly - I think the issue is I was not able to secure the cranks at their closest to to the BB - I left a slight gap twice somehow, I do have a set of BB covers which might be handy and act like a washer.

mikeymustard

Veteran
That'll be why you're having trouble then, shimano, microshift and I think older sram are interchangeable, campy being awkward pull a different amount of cable so the gears never quite line up!

Edit: how many gears are you rocking? I've bought these 7x2 microshift a couple of times, 7 days from China. Haven't had to send any back yet:rolleyes: so don't know what their returns dept is like

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

That'll be why you're having trouble then, shimano, microshift and I think older sram are interchangeable, campy being awkward pull a different amount of cable so the gears never quite line up!

Edit: how many gears are you rocking? I've bought these 7x2 microshift a couple of times, 7 days from China. Haven't had to send any back yet:rolleyes: so don't know what their returns dept is like

9 speed rear, triple up front.

mikeymustard

Veteran

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

my local bike shop have got campag shifters with shimano mechs and vice versa working quite a few times for me so they are do able just take time to set up

@mikeymustard thanks for those links

mikeymustard

Veteran
my local bike shop have got campag shifters with shimano mechs and vice versa working quite a few times for me so they are do able just take time to set up

@mikeymustard thanks for those links
well I'd have a go if there was no option! I think it gets worse the more gears you have though, I believe there was a converter available too.

Edit: or was that for brakes? Memory...fading....

Top Bottom