My advice to newbies.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
One piece of advice for newcomers which can save injury and/or damage....... NEVER ride through puddles, you don't know how big the pothole is under the puddle!

Spot on, my rule is 'Never ride through water when you can't see the bottom.'

Jason7686

Wow, as a newbie, not only some great advice here on buying, but some great tips on riding that hadn't even occured to me. Thanks to everyone contributing.. ( hopefully I can do the same when I get a bit of experience )

Mrklaw

How about narrow tracks like public (shared) footpaths that aren’t wide for easy left/right lane use? I’d guess ride in the Center to avoid issues riding too close to the edge and falling off, and then pass oncoming riders/pedestrians slowly by pulling over to the left?

Mrklaw

And get loads of abuse and risk close passes if it's actually fine for you be further to the left (not in the gutter however)

Basically ride about 1.5m away from the nearest obstacle on your left - curb, parked car? Likewise look ahead and if there are any spots where passing is likely to cause a close pass - like a pinch point caused by a pedestrian island in the middle of the road - then move to 'take' the carriageway to prevent any passing (which may inadvertently turn into a close pass even if the driver is considerate but not observant)

vickster

Legendary Member
Basically ride about 1.5m away from the nearest obstacle on your left - curb, parked car? Likewise look ahead and if there are any spots where passing is likely to cause a close pass - like a pinch point caused by a pedestrian island in the middle of the road - then move to 'take' the carriageway to prevent any passing (which may inadvertently turn into a close pass even if the driver is considerate but not observant)

Indeed, past parked cars, I prefer to be further out if possible

Ineedbikeadvise

Well said. Good points, easy enough yo understand

Rach1

Previously known as wrinkly
Great advice thank you all. As a newbie I felt a bit cheeky holding the road for my safety. I see now that is what is advised so thanks for clarification. Car doors opening and considering what might be coming from the left has also been very useful. Just bought myself a back light.:smile:

bladderhead

I have not read all this thread, therefore someone has probably already said this. Go to your LBS. Because you never know what is exactly wrong with the bike until you have ridden it several times. Then you become a critic. Then you can tell your LBS that your saddle is too hard or too soft, or your gears are too high or too low or not working properly, or the brake levers are hard to reach, or something, just one thing that will make the ride so much nicer. LBS will be able to sell you exactly the right thing, or maybe adjust it and not even try to sell you anything.

If you know exactly what component you want then maybe Alfie or the internet has got it. But you are reading this here thread because you have no idea what to buy. So give Alfie a miss. You think a shop that is full of bikes and smells of rubber is a good shop, but it is a disguise. LBS is the real thing.

Trouble is, the LBS is an endangered species, and you are lucky if there is one nearby. LBS = Long Bloody Schlepp. But don't let them disappear altogether.

Bhitucyclist

I have a pendleton brooke 15 16... very good for commuting to work. I also did the london to brighton ride on it. But this year i am doing the london to paris and while practicing i cant do more than 9miles /hr on average. Do you think i should go for a different bike .. or is it only mine stamina problem. I am short so cant ride the bigger adult frames. Feeling a bit nervous now. Would be grateful for any advice.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have a pendleton brooke 15 16... very good for commuting to work. I also did the london to brighton ride on it. But this year i am doing the london to paris and while practicing i cant do more than 9miles /hr on average. Do you think i should go for a different bike .. or is it only mine stamina problem. I am short so cant ride the bigger adult frames. Feeling a bit nervous now. Would be grateful for any advice.

The Pendleton is a heavy(12kg) wide tyre hybrid.

Did you change tyres to narrower, smooth tread? The tyres are 26" diameter. These would be much faster https://www.bike24.com/p2197004.html if you haven't swapped tyres yet.

A road bike with drop bars would also increase speed by immediately making you more aero position, as opposed to sit up hybrid.

If I remember your event is in September? There is time to swap to another bike, but you need to make the decision soon so you can adapt to it. Cant you borrow/or buy with trial to see if you like a road bike

This bike https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...zjPczgoHZndtw10hTzoaAlc6EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comes in frames sizes for 4'11" 5'1" They have 30 test ride policy(check details) Sold elsewhere.

If you can ride London to Brighton and didnt feel like death at the end there is nothing wrong with fitness/stamina.

Advice for speed training, ride hard for 1 minute, slow down to recover and repeat until you can do any more. You should be able to get upto 18-20mph for a minute. Its not about the actual speed just the pushing above your cruise limit. Use a fast-ish cadence 85-95rpm. this trains your legs muscles and nervous system to be fast reacting.

Top Bottom