My Arse Hurts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Furkz

Über Member
i been cycling nearly a year and with all intention to go through winter, i couldn't brave the weather and decided to hit the gym, cycle and go spin classes. Been out for the 2nd time this year and after 10 miles my backside is really sore and painful. i tried to get some cycling shorts and couldn't get any that fit (44" waist) really annoying has i am loosing weight but what do i do in the meanwhile. currently cycling in cotton shorts and painful...

also i used to be able to do 20miles easily and could do up to 30miles in one outing but can barely do 20miles at the moment, is this just a case of building up again?

thanks in advance...

Col5632

Guru
Try and find some shorts you will be comfortable in and once you get on the bike a good few times your rear end will hurt alot less :thumbsup:

musa

Über Member
Get some cycle shorts and/or boxers. And a tub of sudocream before bed. Soreness will go down

sabian92

Über Member
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-cycling-bib-short/

I'm a 42 inch waist (5'11, 44 inch chest) and these in a large fit me pretty well. I'm a bit less than the recommended height but as you're bent over on the bike it stretched them so they're ok - they just fall down a bit on the shoulders when you're stood up.

The padding will make you feel like you're on a cloud if you don't wear padded undercrackers at the moment. They do just the short version as well here.

OP
OP
Furkz

Furkz

Über Member
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-cycling-bib-short/

I'm a 42 inch waist (5'11, 44 inch chest) and these in a large fit me pretty well. I'm a bit less than the recommended height but as you're bent over on the bike it stretched them so they're ok - they just fall down a bit on the shoulders when you're stood up.

The padding will make you feel like you're on a cloud if you don't wear padded undercrackers at the moment. They do just the short version as well here.
i might go for the shorts, i wanted to ask what you prefer bib or shorts??? also i guess XL would suffice or should i go for XXL

sabian92

Über Member
I prefer bibs, they come quite far up your back (think girls swimming cozzie but with room for your *ahem*) so your bum crack doesn't hang out. You don't even notice the straps after a while, although it does look like you're adjusting a bra to people who don't know you're wearing bib shorts :laugh:

It is possible to buy the padding alone which you can use between saddle and hurty bits regardless of what shorts/leggings you're wearing. I can't vouch for this brand of chamois pad but it's there to give you an idea - http://www.spiuk.com.cn/chamois.html

I haven't seen just the padding anywhere but they're sewn in - i don't think you'd be able to keep it in one place if it wasn't.

Psyclist

Über Member
Try out a new saddle.

Good point. What saddle do you own right now (to the original poster)?

rollinstok

I think you will have a sore arse for some time yet regardless of saddle or shorts, it will get better as you keep at it
A lot of people recommend a Charge Spoon saddle, reasonably light, about £20, I got one after a long lay off with cycling and find it very comfy as far as saddles go
Non bike specific shorts are best if they dont have a heavy seam up the middle at the back or rear pockets with heavy seams, buttons. I found the shorts that have a mesh lining can chaffe, so better to wear skids with a thin pair of shorts if poss
Cycling undershorts if you can find your size are great and have the added bonus of being comfortable without resorting to Lycra if thats not your thing
Good luck and stick with it, your bum should become immune some time in the near future

OP
OP
Furkz

Furkz

Über Member
Thanks for the guidance and encouragement everyone!

Using the standard Cannondale seat which came with the bike. Think a sponge duct taped to the seat might be the only option haha

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Is the saddle the right size, they come in different widths, getting the right saddle is important, have you been measured on an arseometer?

(arseometers are not a windup, although I must admit I was suspect when I first got told about them myself, but they do exist... your local specialzed store will have them)

swede54

+1 for getting your backside measured, I got mine done in Evans using the Bontrager measuring device. On the old saddle i did 40 miles and couldn't sit down on antyhing hard for 4 days. The new saddle is only about 1 cm wider but I did the same distance yesterday with no discomfort.

Top Bottom