My Bike Building Thread With Piccies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
So, at my usual snails pace have finally gotten round to taking the pics of the two frames. They're both 500 steel, one is an old Dawes Civic, the other unamed. Step 1 is sending them off for powder coating, I will post piccies when they return:-

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
That Dawes is crying out to be a Fixed.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

current plan is the white frame will remain white and the blue will become the loudest green they've got. Each frame will be complimented with black forks, I like the idea of contrast. I have a set of Surly Crosscheck steel forks ready for the white frame, they're 1" threadless. This will probably be the 3 speed hub gear. The Dawes, as FFFF spots, is destined for SS/Fixed country. I haven't decided on forks for that yet, still browsing around, but would like to stick with threadless.

Hi MacB,

Nice to see your pics, and your 2 projects! I'm really interested to see how yours pan out, it'll be more inspiration for me to continue the quest I have for a transition to fixed.
Your budget will trounce mine tho' :laugh:

Keep the pics coming...!

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

stoatsngroats said:
Hi MacB,

Nice to see your pics, and your 2 projects! I'm really interested to see how yours pan out, it'll be more inspiration for me to continue the quest I have for a transition to fixed.
Your budget will trounce mine tho' :laugh:

Keep the pics coming...!

I know, I started out planning to do it with begged/borrowed bits but my nature asserted itself so it's new stuff all the way.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
MacBludgeon said:
I know, I started out planning to do it with begged/borrowed bits but my nature asserted itself so it's new stuff all the way.

Good luck with the builds - I'm trying to decide how to go about building up my steel frame at the moment - it's already refurbed and ready for bits. The thing that's made me gasp though is when you start adding up the cost of all the parts, if you buy new, it adds up to more than a new bike!

threebikesmcginty said:
The thing that's made me gasp though is when you start adding up the cost of all the parts, if you buy new, it adds up to more than a new bike!

That's why I'm trying the 'no-cost' option, of scouting around for the bits I need - then, when I've got it up and running, I can decide if 'fixed' is the way to go for me, and whether it's worhtwhile spending cash for improvements.....

Plus - I'm a cheapskate :biggrin:

Go for it.....:biggrin:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I know, I can't see me with getting away with less than £600 per bike and that's with the frames costing a £40 total

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Ok update for Montage, no more piccies yet:-

Powder coating - still to send the frames off as had to settle up bill for Surly last week:ohmy:

For white frame I have - forks surly crosscheck 1" threadless, BBB 1" threadless turnaround headset, 1" alu spacers, Mavic A719 rims black 36H, tubes, Marathon+ tyres 35mm, front hub Shimano 105 in black, Spesh BG saddle, Giant stem, Giant oversize flatbars.

Still to get - rear hub, want a 3 speed hub gear and looks like it'll be the SRAM I-3, just waiting on quote from UK supplier. Decided on this over Sturmey Archer due to 130mm OLD dimension.
BB, chainset, chain, grips(fancy the Ergon ones with built in bar ends), seat post if none of the spares I have fits, V brake set, cheapo wired computer(may be getting this Friday via another forummer).

Blue frame - is now debateable as I enjoy SS but not sure I fancy fixed. If I complete the above I'll have my 9 speed hub gear commuter, the Giant triple and a 3 speed hub pub/backup commuter. The 3 speed will have a direct drive, 2nd gear, of about 67 inches so will serve as a SS as well.

Struggling to justify 4 bikes, so you may have a frame coming your way:biggrin: I also still have the 1" threaded forks from the white bike, along with the brakes and a front wheel.

montage

God Almighty
easy to justify 4 bikes - you need a spare which can fill in the roles of any of the others if they are out of action for whatever reason ;)

As for fearing fixed but enjoying SS ..... flippity flop hub?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dont fear fixed, its nothing to be scared of, its easy really. Just give it a go, you will find out your worrying about nothing. Go for fixed!!!
I have 6 bikes, all of different goodness. I can jusitfy them all. I am thinking about getting rid of one, but i think that i may need at least one road bike with gears:wacko:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

just awaiting neighbours return from holiday so that I can borrow their camera again. Our own appears to be suffering severe mechanical failure and three boys swear they didn't touch it. All evidence points to, at least, one of them lying to me:biggrin:

Top Bottom