My Bike Building Thread With Piccies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yep, but I'm not getting home til 8ish and, by the time I've bathed and made myself beautiful again, it's a bit late to go on the scrounge. I plan a begging trip for Saturday and, if I'm lucky, the third bike(pub bike) will be ready as well. It's just awaiting the BB and chainset and it's good to go.

Believe me, I'll bore you all with pics and full detail on specs, it's in my nature:biggrin:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Hi mac, sorry mate i should have posted this pic ages ago
25jbnma.jpg

this was taken when we did stonehengeless.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

4F said:
xx( In all seriousness how are you getting on with the Brooks ?

has been comfortable from day one, done over 300 miles on it now and very nice. However I am having a running battle with a saddle sore, according to descriptions I've read this is a proper/traditional one as opposed to chafing, ingrowing hair etc. I got it originally on the saddle that came with the Giant, all my own fault. No cream or padded shorts at first, saddle not right height/setback and saddle not square. Thought it was going away then had another saddle not straight issue and hit a bad pothole. That gave me an infection and, though that cleared up, the sore itself seems far more resistant.

I've tried, witchhazel, sudocreme(udderly smooth), savlon, TCP, I even kept off bike for over a week and no change. Gradually coming to conclusion that, due to my original innatention, I may have one of those lumps that will only go away via surgery now.

But it doesn't give me discomfort when riding and rarely at any other time, though avoiding bad potholes, or grinding when in saddle, is preferrable. I've now taken to wearing fresh shorts for each leg of commute and will probably go to doctors next week.

Short answer, Brooks is comfy, has been from get go and already gives that 'armchair' feeling I've read about. It is also comfier than my other saddles, or at least up to 20 miles, not been tried beyond that yet. I, on the otherhand, am not as reliable:biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacBludgeon said:
Short answer, Brooks is comfy, has been from get go and already gives that 'armchair' feeling I've read about. It is also comfier than my other saddles, or at least up to 20 miles, not been tried beyond that yet. I,

Mine was fine for 20 miles, above that is where the pain would start

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

4F said:
Mine was fine for 20 miles, above that is where the pain would start

well I'm safe then, as it's only on the commuter and I find it hard to imagine any point in time when I will want to extend my commute beyond the 20 miles:biggrin:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Aperitif said:
Get yourself some Assos cream MacB - lovely tingling feeling... (I get the next door neighbour to put mine on - that's why it's tingly! ;))

yeah, but I'm not at your giddy heights of blondes beeping me to tell me I've got a nice 'Bod':biggrin: It's my neighbours camera I want to borrow, think an Assos request could scupper that permanently:biggrin:

PM en route re nxt weekend BTW

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

no coatings but pics and reports will be coming, I felt I needed to let it build up enough first, otherwise it wouldn't be a big enough let down:biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Darn it - I want to know if that Maldon place is any good. Do let us know if & when you go ahead.

redcogs

Guru
MacBludgeon said:
no coatings but pics and reports will be coming, I felt I needed to let it build up enough first, otherwise it wouldn't be a big enough let down:biggrin:

Its a bit frustrating all this Mac'! Show us some pics quick.:biggrin:

i really like that Surly with the butterfly bars as well.

BTW, i've a bit of a permanent lump ont arse - perhaps we just have to live with them? i love my Brooks.

Top Bottom