My card's been scammed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you mean scammed?

Call the bank fraud department. Number should be on back of card

I had a text a couple of weeks back flagging possible fraud, was actually me transferring a work payment between accounts (rather more than £500). Genuine text, resolved on phone later

They pick up unusual activity, I've had it with a cloned credit card. I rarely use my debit card online, harder to get actual funds back , rather than a CC charge

SteveF

No i didn't that was my first thought. When i phoned the number it said welcome to (won't name bank yet)fraud department. Surely it must be genuine?

I suggest you phone them on the normal customer service number and ask to be put through to the fraud department, don't use the number supplied in the text.

classic33

Leg End Member
The above, but don't delete the message.

Your bank will never inform you by text of such activity. They've to confirm they've the right person first. And for something like this you'll be required to go to a branch.

stephec

Legendary Member
No i didn't that was my first thought. When i phoned the number it said welcome to (won't name bank yet)fraud department. Surely it must be genuine?

It's that kind of attitude that keeps the scammers in business.

Ring the number for the fraud department that you get from your bank's own website if the branch has shut down.

alicat

Legendary Member
You only stand the chance of losing your money if you do what the scam tells you to do.

Ring the bank tomorrow using the number on your statement to find out if they did text you.

The one and only time I was subject to a fraud, my bank called me and asked me to confirm if some suspicious transactions were genuine. When I said they weren't they stopped my card, issued me with a new one and reimbursed me for the fraudulent transactions immediately.

Tim Hall

As suggested upthread, this looks as dodgy as a dodgy thing. A swift google brought up this from the Natwest site (other banks are similar)
What is Smishing

This is when a fraudster sends a text message to say there's a problem with your bank account and ask you to call a phone number. If you do so, fraudsters will try to trick you into giving away your personal and security information.

Other messages may be from fraudsters pretending to be your bank, saying that personal information about you has been posted on the internet and ask you to visit a website. Using the link in the message may lead to an attempt to infect your computer or mobile device with a virus.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No, ring the number on the card or your bank statement, if they have the technology to send you a phone number by text/e-mail then they have the sense to answer that number with an appropriate response.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The above, but don't delete the message.

Your bank will never inform you by text of such activity. They've to confirm they've the right person first. And for something like this you'll be required to go to a branch.

My bank texts me if it thinks there's unusual activity on my account. The message details the amount and asks me to reply "1" to confirm the transaction is legit or "2" if I don't recognise it.

In the former case, I'll be advised to reattempt the transaction in ten minutes and in the latter case no payment will be authorised.

Top Bottom