My Carrera Zelos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
New update;
I've put black gel bar tape on her... Wow, feels so much better.
Also i've got to get more miles on here been slacking a bit recently!

Liam

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Bigger update,
Well I was planning on getting an N+1 and to trade in the zelos. I have scrapped this idea, here is my thinking:
The £400 i'd have to chuck in with the trade in to get a half decent bike could be spent like this;
Carbon forks
Shimano r501 front wheel (got the rear ready to fit)
Shimano tiagra groupset (sell the old tourney and tektro brakes)
Then a carbon frame if i have money left,something like a planetX or ribble?
This would give me a much better bike than all the other bikes in the £550ish price range. Realistically with the carbon frame i'd have a fully carbon bike for around £650. After I reach this my wallet will run away crying and my paypal will jump off a bridge.. As i'll start on other stuff like carbon bars, stem seat post... Carbon saddle.. Carbon wheels :biggrin:

Eventually this'll be a dream bike :biggrin:

Liam

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bigger update,
Well I was planning on getting an N+1 and to trade in the zelos. I have scrapped this idea, here is my thinking:
The £400 i'd have to chuck in with the trade in to get a half decent bike could be spent like this;
Carbon forks
Shimano r501 front wheel (got the rear ready to fit)
Shimano tiagra groupset (sell the old tourney and tektro brakes)
Then a carbon frame if i have money left,something like a planetX or ribble?
This would give me a much better bike than all the other bikes in the £550ish price range. Realistically with the carbon frame i'd have a fully carbon bike for around £650. After I reach this my wallet will run away crying and my paypal will jump off a bridge.. As i'll start on other stuff like carbon bars, stem seat post... Carbon saddle.. Carbon wheels :biggrin:

Eventually this'll be a dream bike :biggrin:

Liam
Wheels made the biggest difference to my bike , just tried the rs11`s out and smashed my PB by .5 mph on the average , doesnt sound a lot but for me going from 20 mph to 20.5 moh average was a biggie.

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
  1. Wheels made the biggest difference to my bike , just tried the rs11`s out and smashed my PB by .5 mph on the average , doesnt sound a lot but for me going from 20 mph to 20.5 moh average was a biggie.
    Yeah,
I need to get an r501 front wheel sourced :biggrin:
Liam

That seems quite steep considering a wheelset is £70, really need to find somebody to split a wheelset with ;)
It's always the case Liam. People buy wheelsets, they don't often buy single wheels, so they subsidise wheelsets accordingly :sad:

Why not get a wheelset, that way you've either got a spare rear wheel, or you could sell the rear wheel on. I worry that if you're waiting until some needs a rear wheel and splits a set with you you'll never actually get your 501's on :smile:

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
Hmm, good points.
I'm going to speak to the LBS, see if they will give me a good deal..
Liam

nazzurro19

i just did the complete opposite, instead of upgrading my zelos i just traded it in for a brand spanking new specialized allez elite :smile:

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
i just did the complete opposite, instead of upgrading my zelos i just traded it in for a brand spanking new specialized allez elite :smile:
TBH, ask a few people on here .. I was planning on doing just that, but the money would go further and i'd get a better bike if i made a custom.
Here is my maths behind it:
R501 wheelset : £70
Carbon forks: £70
Tiagra groupset: £265.
Carbon planet X frame aprox £260
Sell old groupset, tektro brakes and forks / frame: APROX. -£100.
That leaves me with £405 to pay. This gives me a half decent full carbon bike.
I was offered £200 to trade in my zelos at the LBS, and for the £405 it'd cost me to upgrade to a full carbon bike i'd be nowhere near this spec!

Also im open to the idea of second hand parts such as groupset etc!

Enjoy your spesh though :smile:

Liam

young Ed

Veteran
TBH, ask a few people on here .. I was planning on doing just that, but the money would go further and i'd get a better bike if i made a custom.
Here is my maths behind it:
R501 wheelset : £70
Carbon forks: £70
Tiagra groupset: £265.
Carbon planet X frame aprox £260
Sell old groupset, tektro brakes and forks / frame: APROX. -£100.
That leaves me with £405 to pay. This gives me a half decent full carbon bike.
I was offered £200 to trade in my zelos at the LBS, and for the £405 it'd cost me to upgrade to a full carbon bike i'd be nowhere near this spec!

Also im open to the idea of second hand parts such as groupset etc!

Enjoy your spesh though :smile:

Liam
yes i can vouch for you mate that you was going to trade in the zelos and get an off the peg bike brand new! :tongue:

but if you completely lose the zelos then what will you do for a winter bike? as you don't want carbon and winter to mix! :thumbsup: what carbon forks are you looking at for £70? i would be budgeting £100-£120 for carbon forks
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
L14M

L14M

Über Member
yes i can vouch for you mate that you was going to trade in the zelos and get an off the peg bike brand new! :tongue:

but if you completely lose the zelos then what will you do for a winter bike? as you don't want carbon and winter to mix! :thumbsup: what carbon forks are you looking at for £70? i would be budgeting £100-£120 for carbon forks
Cheers Ed

Winter bike? Mudguards also planning on building a ratty fixie for rain and popping to the shops on etc

nuttall1991

How have you found having a 7 speed cassette on an 8/9/10 speed rear wheel? I've got the exact same bike (but in blue rather than yellow) and an R501 wheelset.

I use a Halo spacer (4mm IIRC) but my higher gears grind on the front mech, so what do you use?

Top Bottom