My closest pass yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Arrow on the tarmac?
I can see one at 8 secs, which appears to be a deflection arrow, and which appears to be ushering drivers to the correct side of the dashed white lines... beyond this the road is fairly bare. The road markings are either not finished or left like that as part of the pedestrianisation IMO...
Yeah, I was wrong. Monk just told me.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
The camera wont stop that type of driving though, the only time a camera will be off any worth is if you get hit unfortunately as the police don't seem interested in close passes.

I would disagree - I was reading about one chap who painted a Smartie pack black and stuck it to his helmet - He noticed a marked change in attitude from drivers.

But even if you don't believe that - cameras can and do result in convictions, which can remove said driver from the road, which is only a good thing if you ask me.

Now I don't have a camera, not that interested in getting one. Out in lazy Norwich I don't feel its justified, but I have cycled in London, and no question Id buy one if I lived there!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Just seen this. I've had the very same situation happen along there by the same bus operator. I emailed to complain a few weeks back when one of their drivers barged me out of the way and into the pedestrianised section where people were walking towards the crossing point. I never even got a "naff off" reply. This one firm is the firm I expect tailgating from - even when doing 25mph down hill.

To make matters worse - where Monk' was overtaken the stones are loose and sunken. You risk either trapping a wheel in a gap or sliding out when there is no margin for error through there. Plus numpty driver forgets that people often dash out along that section to cross. He will hit a pedestrian one day driving like that.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I would disagree - I was reading about one chap who painted a Smartie pack black and stuck it to his helmet - He noticed a marked change in attitude from drivers.

But even if you don't believe that - cameras can and do result in convictions, which can remove said driver from the road, which is only a good thing if you ask me.

Now I don't have a camera, not that interested in getting one. Out in lazy Norwich I don't feel its justified, but I have cycled in London, and no question Id buy one if I lived there!
I think you would get better results if you wore a wig and didn't have a helmet on in regards to improving behaviour.

Arfcollins

Soft southerner.
I've just got in from the pub and lost half an hour of my life reading this. I have concluded:

1. It was a close pass.
2. The OP behaved well and did not put himself in any further danger.
3. The bus company has responded correctly.
4. I'm going to buy some Smarties in the morning.
5. Empty pots make the most noise.

Good night.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I've just got in from the pub and lost half an hour of my life reading this. I have concluded:

1. It was a close pass.
2. The OP behaved well and did not put himself in any further danger.
3. The bus company has responded correctly.
4. I'm going to buy some Smarties in the morning.
5. Empty pots make the most noise.

Good night.
Superbly put!....Goodnight sir.

OP
OP
M

Monkreadusuk

Über Member
Very happy with the reply from the Bus Company.

I suspect this communication may come as a surprise to you but I believe it is important that when members of the public submit complaints, they are thoroughly investigated and dealt with in a professional manner.

I am now in a position to advise you that the driver responsible for the incident where our vehicle passed you unnecesarily close at Guildhall Square in Southampton has been dealt with through our formal procedures.

Whilst I am not at liberty to advise you of the award given, I can tell you that he has been issued a disciplinary award short of dismissal but one that we believe is strong enough to educate him in relation to his driving standard in future.

It is appropriate to inform you that during the internal procedure he was involved in, he did accept his shortcomings and fully understood how serious his actions had been. He also indicated his desire that we extend his personal apologies to you for the incident.

Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I sincerely hope that your journeys are less eventful in future.

Kind regards

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Great outcome and reply.
Its good to see it be taken seriously. They feel its enough to educate the driver and I agree.
I find it a bit weird they call its a disciplinary award, a tad ironic.

paulfromthenorth

Über Member
Great outcome and reply.
Its good to see it be taken seriously. They feel its enough to educate the driver and I agree.
I find it a bit weird they call its a disciplinary award, a tad ironic.

Can't see the irony myself.

"Discipline" in the context of employment law relates to emphasising the need for improvement in performance or behaviour. It is therefore a method of education rather than punishment.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Can't see the irony myself.

"Discipline" in the context of employment law relates to emphasising the need for improvement in performance or behaviour. It is therefore a method of education rather than punishment.
To contradict you the meaning according to Google is the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behaviour, using punishment to correct disobedience.
So calling it an award is ironic to me.

Top Bottom