My closest pass yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
30 minutes after reporting the incident to the bus company, I received this reply.

I am absolutely disgusted at the standard of driving demonstrated in this video clip as I am sure you would expect.

I have shown the footage to my Staff Manager who is equally shocked at what we have just seen and he will initiate our formal procedures with the driver in question this evening.

I can only offer my sincere apologies for this and I imagine it will come as no surprise to you to learn that I am professionally embarrassed by the our driver's actions.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
That's a good response imo.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
That kind of driving leads me to expect an aggressive coward behind the wheel. Do society a favour and try to get this imbecile removed from the job he is clearly not capable of.

jarlrmai

Veteran
as i seem to be some sort of sarcasm meter for this forum I can confirm that glen was being sarcastic.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
I'm pretty sure my Upminster cabs idiot worse than that although it was not bus.How he didn't hit me from the rear I don't know.It happened on the Blackfriars Underpass,another idiot on a mobile phone,no doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

fabregas485

That must have felt crazy close, I'm surprised you didn't slam on the brakes and even took a hand off the bars :O

If bus wing mirrors are anything like they used to be, they don't flex and fold in like car ones, they hurt a lot and that one must have been close!
I can confirm this. I have been hit by a bus wing mirror before in my younger days waiting for a bus.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Jesus.

Surprised you haven't got a bus stain on your elbow.

I thought you dealt with it well. No histrionics, just a calm and accurate portrayal of a terrible bit of driving.

sabian92

Über Member
Yeah, had far worse from companies.

Probably won't tell you what they do end up doing but better than most.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
That kind of driving leads me to expect an aggressive coward behind the wheel. Do society a favour and try to get this imbecile removed from the job he is clearly not capable of.
It was a close pass and the bus company has said so. But seriously, you want the man to lose his job? Educate him for the future, don't make him join the dole que.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It was a close pass and the bus company has said so. But seriously, you want the man to lose his job? Educate him for the future, don't make him join the dole que.

Agreed.

I'd rather share the road with a bus driver who's learned his lesson than an unemployed ex-bus driver with a vendetta against cyclists.

Dave W

Clearly some cyclists have never ever made a mistake whilst driving or cycling and are above the normal human frailty of us lesser beings.

I'm all for trying to improve driving (and cycling) standards but really, some cyclists are like over zealous evangelicals. It was close yes but does that justify someone losing their job because of a bit of daft driving? We've all done silly things when driving, how about perhaps acceding this fact?

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
A decision for the company. They will make fair judgement and equal punishment or retraining. Given the response I suspect a written warning. However there could be stuff we don't know. Although I will reiterate its a company decision and if they did dismiss the driver it wouldn't be just because of this incident. If they did so be it. The only person to blame is himself. We don't see the same sympathy for drunk drivers who lose their jobs even though they may not have actually hurt anyone.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Clearly some cyclists have never ever made a mistake whilst driving or cycling and are above the normal human frailty of us lesser beings.

I'm all for trying to improve driving (and cycling) standards but really, some cyclists are like over zealous evangelicals. It was close yes but does that justify someone losing their job because of a bit of daft driving? We've all done silly things when driving, how about perhaps acceding this fact?
Now I am convinced you are just throwing words about. "evangelicals" are you for real. No doubt some camera cyclists are also part of the cycleTaliban with the intent to bring ideological warfare to the streets of Britian. FFS

Reactions: gaz

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
A decision for the company. They will make fair judgement and equal punishment or retraining. Given the response I suspect a written warning. However there could be stuff we don't know. Although I will reiterate its a company decision and if they did dismiss the driver it wouldn't be just because of this incident.
What "stuff we don't know"? Pure speculation! No one here knows anything about this man. But most are baying for blood like a pack of wolves.

Top Bottom