My Crash Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Scratch

Über Member
Another update, I had the day off after all. Especially encouraged by the comments on here :smile:.

I've spoken to the police and have found out where the accident was. It was on Aston Road North heading into town. So probably a hit from behind coming off the island with Rocky Road. I try and take the lane there as people often try to undertake slower cars/lorries by driving in the bus lane and I take the lane to stop it. Could have been undertaking someone off the island and hit me, or just a plain old left hook.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...5839,-1.885293&spn=0.004932,0.009645&t=h&z=17

The accident book won't be available from the police until Wednesday or Thursday so unless the police ring me up I won't know any more until then.

I've initiated a claim with the CTC and as we all know this sort of thing can take a long while.

For the voyeurs out there I've uploaded pics of my face, helmet and bike. As you can see there's not a lot of damage to the helmet for the amount of time I was out of it. I'm lucky it wasn't a harder hit!

WARNING SOME BLOOD AND A NAKED THIGH :biggrin:
http://cid-5d3740abc5b77bf3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Crash/crash.zip

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Wow - this thread certainly makes for sobering reading!!! I hope you're feeling better, Scratch... and I'd be asking the Police (unless you fancy doing it yourself) to contact the numebr left in your bag - if it is the driver then a statement needs to be taken (I suspect it won't be though!), and if it's from a witness then they need details asap before the person starts to forget it!!!

Glad to hear you're still here after all that!

No way go to work though, get yourself properly checked out by your GP and rest up. Photos will be beneficial for any claim, and take notes about what you can/cannot remember and/or do now after the collision.... they may be invaluable later for any claim calculation.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Scratch, I know just how that feels, to come to and have no idea what's happened.

And to get the details in dribs and drabs over days and weeks. I still don't know for sure what happened to me (the witness's accounts don't really hang together).

Take it easy. Be prepared for it to take a while to get your concentration back.

And... I've forgotten what I was going to say next...

GWS Scratch, take care, don't overdo things, and no getting back to work for a few days! No-one ought to be expecting that of you!

The short-term amnesia 'after the event' is beyond my experience, but hopefully it's just a one-off and you'll have to accept that that slice of your memory is gone for good. My last injury 'off' (not involving another vehicle) caused amnesia for the last few minutes that I cycled prior to the accident, I have clear recollection of coming out of a T-junction a mile or two off, then nothing between there and the point of impact. And I was unconscious for about 15-20 minutes after the crash, so witnesses told me. And five years later, none of that gap in my memory has come back. I think it won't ever come back now, which may be a good thing. But everything that happened after I recovered consciousness, I remember quite clearly, there are no gaps there.

Anyway, keep well, and it sounds like you came out of it OK. :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
A friend of mine had a bad crash - in a car, rather than on two wheels. I saw what was left of his mini myself - I have seen lesser wrecks that have resulted in fatalities.

Anyway, he has no memory of the event, or moments leading up to it. Whilst he found it disconcerting at first, he rationalised it such that if the incident was so traumatic that his brain decided that it should not be remembered, then he's not going to dispute that.

The hospital put him on a 7,000 calorie a day diet to help his body re-build. Got told to ask for anything he wanted, and canteen would make it for him - was thinking of asking for steak and chips!!

I've lost a day after an off as a kid. Hospital overnight, and off school for a week, for observation.

Take it really easy, scratch. Have you been to your GP yet? You need to get into the system so that if it does get worse you can get treated quicker.

Take care

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Crankarm said:
This may have already been mentioned, but was there any CCTV in the area?

Take it easy and hopefully everything will sort itself out.

Possibly next door to the brand new West Midlands Police Forensic unit. But it isn't advertised as such, and they didn't give the location when it opened.

So should be CCTV there, and maybe even more help?

OP
OP
S

Scratch

Über Member
The policeman investigating my accident just rang me up. I've learned that the accident happened just off the island here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...XOy8DHfAIz6t-Cmdg0j1-g&cbp=12,237.33,,0,19.38

He said there were a couple of first aiders there when he pulled up but they left as soon as he arrived. There are no witnesses, the name and number I found in my bag is the driver. He also said there is no CCTV. So bearing all that in mind and with the only account of what happened being the drivers there is no chance of a prosecution.

I could tell the policeman had at least tried, he did say he was a keen cyclist himself.

Looks like I'm going to have to brave the civil route, though I'm sure the driver will just say I swerved in front of him, which is of course what all cyclists do especially the ones who are too dead or were to unconscious to say otherwise.

If the company are nice they may want to avoid going through insurance and just pay for the damaged bits and pieces, but I'll see what the guys at the solicitors say first.

So the moral is, if you have a helmet cam always wear it! At least it would have shown my road positioning and line if not the incident itself.

Crankarm

Guru
Scratch said:
The policeman investigating my accident just rang me up. I've learned that the accident happened just off the island here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...XOy8DHfAIz6t-Cmdg0j1-g&cbp=12,237.33,,0,19.38

He said there were a couple of first aiders there when he pulled up but they left as soon as he arrived. There are no witnesses, the name and number I found in my bag is the driver. He also said there is no CCTV. So bearing all that in mind and with the only account of what happened being the drivers there is no chance of a prosecution.

I could tell the policeman had at least tried, he did say he was a keen cyclist himself.

Looks like I'm going to have to brave the civil route, though I'm sure the driver will just say I swerved in front of him, which is of course what all cyclists do especially the ones who are too dead or were to unconscious to say otherwise.

If the company are nice they may want to avoid going through insurance and just pay for the damaged bits and pieces, but I'll see what the guys at the solicitors say first.

So the moral is, if you have a helmet cam always wear it! At least it would have shown my road positioning and line if not the incident itself.

What time of day did it happen again? Are the police not going to appeal for witnesses or place a sign at or near the scene? No, I shouldn't imagine the driver would incriminate himself by owning up to what he had done ...........

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
iamanidiot said:
Sorry, the first-aiders/witnesses left the scene of a collision and the police officer let them?

They have no control over them to make them stay. They havent technically committed any crime so they must be free to go. What the Police could do, and often do down here, is put an appeal in the paper, if its a bad one then they put up yellow "CRASH" signs.

Other places I often read of cyclists contacting the paper themselves to ask for witnesses as a human interest story.

Top Bottom