My day of turmoil trying to find and buy a sink and drain plunger!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
After 4 hours of searching from shop to shop I finally found one! The problem started when I put one of my palm trees in my shower to water in and wash its leaves. I put the plant on the seat in my shower only to turn my back and hear it crash to the floor! Half of its compost/soil spilled out onto the shower floor. I swept most of it up then rinsed the rest away, but sadly that bit blocked my shower drain. I went to Scewfix, Aldi, Argos, BM Bargains, 3 local plumbers merchants but no luck! One bloke in one of the shops told me that there's a shortage of sink plungers at the moment. Was he taking the mickey, or is that true?🤔 Anyway, I eventually found one hidden away in the local Tesco. I've just plunged the shower drain and I'm glad to report the compost has gone and my shower drain is now flowing freely!

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
What has my life become?

Biggest excitement on Friday night is @Accy cyclist new adventure.

I look forward to the TV series and feature film.:laugh:

a.twiddler

Veteran
Ah, the Great Sink Plunger Famine of 2022. Some will blame Brexit, some will blame Covid. Before you know it, this thread will be on NACA!
Meanwhile, the humble sink plunger remains unappreciated until you need one in a hurry. Like an umbrella and rain, if you always keep one at hand, you will never need to use it. It is a Blockage Deterrent.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Did the palm plunge to its death, or did it survive?

It ended up on its side against the shower wall/door thingy. I've checked it over and it seems ok, though time will tell as the fall might've disturbed its roots which could be a problem for this delicate house/indoor palm.:unsure: I'm just glad the weight of it (about 2 stones) didn't break the shower base/floor!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Here's the plant and the plunger. That planter it's in needs a lick of paint, better still maybe buy a new planter. Does anyone know the name of the plant? I lost the info', plastic stick in the soil thingy.

1668805921346.png

notmyrealnamebutclose

Did the palm plunge to its death, or did it survive?

yes

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I once had to unblock a toilet which was a horrific experience with a mop used as a plunger. Everything was floating round up near the toilet seat. I got rid of it by plunging and flushing but I wouldnt want to go through that again.It was really horrible.
In future put your plant outside and water it with a watering can, then bring it back in.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I once had to unblock a toilet which was a horrific experience with a mop used as a plunger. Everything was floating round up near the toilet seat. I got rid of it by plunging and flushing but I wouldnt want to go through that again.It was really horrible.
In future put your plant outside and water it with a watering can, then bring it back in.

Yeah, I've done the bog unblocking with a mop.xx(

I couldn't carry the plant down my stairs to get it rained on outside, like I used to do.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ah, the Great Sink Plunger Famine of 2022. Some will blame Brexit, some will blame Covid. Before you know it, this thread will be on NACA!
Meanwhile, the humble sink plunger remains unappreciated until you need one in a hurry. Like an umbrella and rain, if you always keep one at hand, you will never need to use it. It is a Blockage Deterrent.

I thought it was generally accepted that The Great Plunger Shortage could be laid at the door of Putin's mad war.

Top Bottom