My dislike for Leaf Blowers ( and leaf blower owners!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
Its nearly that time of year again for the leaf blower brigade !who just blow leaves all over the road and pavement as long as they are not on their property !and make as much noise as possible at the weekend, its probably my dislike of the owners of leaf blowers rather than the machines themselves! get a rake and a Bag if you like picking them up.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, a waste of finite resources solely because they're too lazy to use a rake.

tom73

Guru
When I worked as a part of the ground staff at a large collage with multiple sites. We had one we never used it they don't blow just leaves you soon get covered in dust , grit and other crap. Plus it was a lot quicker with a good stiff brush and a shovel. Every so often the caretaker staff would borrow it but they soon remembered why they did not use it more often.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The old woman who lives next door has gardeners come round with one of them, all it seems to do is blow the holly leaves that drop from her tree under our hedge where they stay til muggins here cuts the hedge and gets the bloody things stuck in my hands when I collect/bag the hedge clippings. :cursing:

tom73

Guru
the owners who stand in front of their house and blow piles of leaves into the road and gutter, usually as I cycle past !

Not quite due to leave blower but it remind's we have someone who every year rake's up leaves tip's them over the fence then pile's them up on the pavement often 3 or 4 feet tall all the way along the fence. Council then have to come and move them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was sat out in the garden area here during the 'heatwave' the other week when the housing association's 'garden maintenance team' arrived with all sorts of equipment. I know some would go inside,getting out the way to let them get on with it,but no i thought. I've waited for the sun and now it's here i'm not going to miss it! The first thing they used was a large lawnmower which picked up and fired shrapnel type bits,with one piece hitting my sunglasses,thankfully not my eye and then out came the leaf blower. The operator blew leaves,dust etc all over the place with bits again being fired in my direction. I got the feeling the garden maintenance team didn't like seeing someone sunbathe while they slogged away in the blazing heat.:dry:

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Leaf blowers are fantastic and I won't hear a bad word said about them.
Over the years blowers have saved me months of work. I used to be Head Gardener on a private estate with lots of mature trees, we we're blowing and picking up from September to January with the oak trees. It would have killed us if we'd used rakes.
They are the best for cleaning tennis courts and tarmac paths.

At present I have a Stihl model with a built in silencer, so it's not as bad as others.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
When I worked as a part of the ground staff at a large collage with multiple sites. We had one we never used it they don't blow just leaves you soon get covered in dust , grit and other crap. Plus it was a lot quicker with a good stiff brush and a shovel. Every so often the caretaker staff would borrow it but they soon remembered why they did not use it more often.

If you work with the wind direction you stay clean.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
But why Blow, why not Suck?
:unsure:

e6b05d84aa03333b6935b6076aa7dfcf.gif

wormo

Guru
I collect as many leaves as I can via leaf blower on suck. It chops up the leaves, these then go in my leaf cage to create leaf mould ( a fantastic soil improver).

I'll even go down the road as far as my cables go to tidy everywhere up and get additional leaf mould.

Top Bottom