My ebike but I miss a normal bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Why would you feel guilty. It's your money, you can buy and ride whatever you want and if someone makes a comment you should tell them to go forth. It's no one else's business accept yours.

If you actually want another bike then buy one, but don't do it just because of what someone else might think. That's a stupid way to think.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It is just to convince myself that I don't need one. I can't speak for others.:okay:
This just perpetuates the feelings of guilt. They're not a thing that one needs or doesn't need, they're just a mode of transport with advantages and disadvantages and different suitability for different riders and situations.

Reactions: C R

dodgy

To those of you with ebikes, if a 'proper' cyclist ever moans at your choice, ask one very simple question: "do you have a washing machine at home?".

I have 4 'proper' bikes, but also a folding ebike, but the e-folder is only used for utility stuff like going to the shops, taking on the bus etc etc. I'd far rather be on the standard bikes as I prefer to burn more calories (and I do, don't even try to convince me otherwise), so that's what I use for leisure / fitness stuff.
Ebikes are brilliant and just so much fun, I'll always have one in my 'fleet' regardless of my physical condition.

A bike is not for m
Hi I’m thinking of getting a second bike not really sure what I’m looking for my current bike is a emountain bike which is great i mainly use it on roads and ruff terrain and use for long rides. BuT I just feel guilty that it is a ebike I kind of feel I should be riding a normal bike (hate to say it) I’m often admiringly watching people on them specially when they look a lot older than me. The reason I have a ebike is that so many hills around my area it used to kill me on my old non powered mtb bike that if I’m honest was a bit of a donkey cheapest bike on market at £250

I’m only 38 And keep looking at gravel and road bikes but never been on one, only ever used mountain bikes.. would love just to be able to bike miles without any assistance from a motor and not be terribly fatigued and just enjoy a steady ride I’m not one for racing but like slightly off roading and ruff terrains.

I was looking at a broadman adv 8.9 gravel type bike thinking that might be the sort of bike I need then it just happened I saw some bloke riding past my house on one. Just don’t want to waste money to find it’s going to be killing me again.

Any ideas
A bike is not for me currently thankfully but you've got no reason to feel guilty. In fact you are doing us a favour in not contributing to pollution and helping to keep yourself active (inactivity is a major cost to us all) etc. In my old office there was a kid in his 20s who used one; didn't matter a jot to me :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I get where the OP is coming from in that there is nothing to match the feeling of riding a lightweight road bike in benign conditions.

However, any bike is hard work to get up a hill.

A new gravel bike will be quite a bit easier to climb on than the OP's old analogue MTB.

Whether it will be easy enough for him to ride regularly is a question only he can answer by trying one.

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That really is the attitude I don't understand, "Oh there's nothing wrong with them, but I'm not old & decrepit enough to have one!"
I don't think he's saying he is going to wait till he's old and decrepit. My view is I'll buy one if or when I need it. I'd view the circumstances when I'd need an e-bike as health issues require me to ease off, no longer physically strong enough to stay with my buddies, my stamina has dropped limiting the distance I can ride.

The first person I met with an e-bike was a woman in her late 70s riding in the Ribble Valley. She explained to how the e-bike allowed her to continue riding the area.

I've a friend who bought one to aid his return to fitness after a serious heart issue. The bike is now in his loft after he regained full fitness.

Both are examples of how I would define "need one" for myself and have nothing to do with being old or decrepit.

There are many reasons I've heard people give as to why they need an e-bike. Most of those reasons would reduce my pleasure in cycling. I'm happy to accept as an example some people will enhance their enjoyment by getting assistance on hills. For me that would reduce my pleasure, I like to climb and deliberately go looking for the challenge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I don't think he's saying he is going to wait till he's old and decrepit. My view is I'll buy one if or when I need it. I'd view the circumstances when I'd need an e-bike as health issues require me to ease off, no longer physically strong enough to stay with my buddies, my stamina has dropped limiting the distance I can ride.

The first person I met with an e-bike was a woman in her late 70s riding in the Ribble Valley. She explained to how the e-bike allowed her to continue riding the area.

I've a friend who bought one to aid his return to fitness after a serious heart issue. The bike is now in his loft after he regained full fitness.

Both are examples of how I would define "need one" for myself and have nothing to do with being old or decrepit.

There are many reasons I've heard people give as to why they need an e-bike. Most of those reasons would reduce my pleasure in cycling. I'm happy to accept as an example some people will enhance their enjoyment by getting assistance on hills. For me that would reduce my pleasure, I like to climb and deliberately go looking for the challenge.
But you're still perpetuating the myth that they are for the old & infirm, you've given multiple examples there

PaulSB

Legendary Member
But you're still perpetuating the myth that they are for the old & infirm, you've given multiple examples there
No, I'm giving reasons why I would want or need an e-bike. I certainly wouldn't include old because this, in my book, is a state of mind. I've no intention of ever becoming old. I'm never really sure what "infirm" defines. What I'm saying is if I have a physical impairment which can be overcome by using an e-bike this is when I will need one.

Under such circumstances an e-bike would enhance my enjoyment, currently an e-bike would reduce it. The need for physical assistance from an e-bike could occur at 26 or 66 (me) for me it will only be needed when it enhances my pleasure. Hopefully it won't be till 76 or later!

winjim

Smash the cistern

A woman in her 70s and a man with a heart condition are surely the epitome of old age and, well, not exactly decrepitude but something close.

I’m only 38 And keep looking at gravel and road bikes but never been on one, only ever used mountain bikes.. would love just to be able to bike miles without any assistance from a motor and not be terribly fatigued and just enjoy a steady ride I’m not one for racing but like slightly off roading and ruff terrains.
Maybe just HTFU.
Mike (only 78 and still without an ebike)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A woman in her 70s and a man with a heart condition are surely the epitome of old age and, well, not exactly decrepitude but something close.
OK. I'm 66. I have epilepsy, heart attack five years ago and a brain haemorrhage January 2019 when my wife was told "first we have to see if he wakes up." Where does this put me in the epitome of old age and decrepitude?

My friend who has recovered from his heart condition five days ago rode 47 miles, 5000 feet, 12mph avg. He's 74.

Although I only vaguely know the woman I met she is renowned throughout the local cycling community for her fitness, spirit and sense of adventure.

You're classifying people by age and physical condition. In my book this is simply wrong. I'm not trying to be awkward here, I simply don't understand it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
OK. I'm 66. I have epilepsy, heart attack five years ago and a brain haemorrhage January 2019 when my wife was told "first we have to see if he wakes up." Where does this put me in the epitome of old age and decrepitude?

My friend who has recovered from his heart condition five days ago rode 47 miles, 5000 feet, 12mph avg. He's 74.

Although I only vaguely know the woman I met she is renowned throughout the local cycling community for her fitness, spirit and sense of adventure.

You're classifying people by age and physical condition. In my book this is simply wrong. I'm not trying to be awkward here, I simply don't understand it.
No. You literally classified them like that yourself. I'm literally not doing that. Ebikes are for everyone and anyone.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sorry but I'm with @winjim on this, it's you that is doing this not us, clearly if you are not aware then subconsciously

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sorry but I'm with @winjim on this, it's you that is doing this not us, clearly if you are not aware then subconsciously

Can I point you back to what winjim said, he defined the two examples I used as the epitome of old age and somehting close to decrepitude. In my book these people have suffered, as have I, physical difficulties and have used or still do use an e-bike to overcome these difficulties. I don't know anyone who is old and decrepit but know people who have overcome physical issues to return to their prior fitness levels.

It isn't me who described people as the epitome of old age. All I have done is describe situations when I might consider an e-bike for myself.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can I point you back to what winjim said, he defined the two examples I used as the epitome of old age and somehting close to decrepitude. In my book these people have suffered, as have I, physical difficulties and have used or still do use an e-bike to overcome these difficulties. I don't know anyone who is old and decrepit but know people who have overcome physical issues to return to their prior fitness levels.

It isn't me who described people as the epitome of old age. All I have done is describe situations when I might consider an e-bike for myself.
The situations you described were old age and infirmity.

Ebikes are a perfectly reasonable option for the young, fit and healthy. OP mentioned guilt and you are perpetuating it.

Top Bottom