My ebike but I miss a normal bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
To those of you with ebikes, if a 'proper' cyclist ever moans at your choice, ask one very simple question: "do you have a washing machine at home?".
I have never had any comment at all from a proper cyclist. Nevertheless, should I ever do so I will respond with a resounding "F off and mind your own business." I will not waste a second of this precious life attempting rational discussion with eejuts.

I had no plans to purchase an ebike - Mrs D bought it for me. I probably still wouldn't buy one myself, but now I do have one i would be daft not to enjoy it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Disappointing there's still a minority of roadies who think ebikes are only for cripples.

I suppose these are the same cyclists who don't like tubeless tyres, disc brakes, carbon frames, and di2 shifting.

Come on granddad, get with the program.

winjim

Smash the cistern
You losers with your gears and sprockets and mechanical advantage. Some of us are still fit enough to walk you know. I'll get a pushbike when I absolutely need one.

Wow! ebikes provoke some strong responses, I'm not sure why. Is it jealousy by those who don't own one? Is it a sense of having to defend their choice for those that do have one?
It's up to everyone to buy and use what they can afford and wish to ride and ignore what others think or do.
Non ebike rider at the moment as I'm concerned using less energy and calories will add to my weight but I haven't ruled one out.

Drago

Legendary Member
Disappointing there's still a minority of roadies who think ebikes are only for cripples.

I suppose these are the same cyclists who don't like tubeless tyres, disc brakes, carbon frames, and di2 shifting.

Come on granddad, get with the program.
To be fair, i'm not a fan of the former or latter, and I'm lukewarm about the supposed benefits of the middle two, but I've no issue with ebiking.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The situations you described were old age and infirmity.

Ebikes are a perfectly reasonable option for the young, fit and healthy. OP mentioned guilt and you are perpetuating it.
I'm sorry I completely disagree with you that I am perpetuating guilt. All I have done is agree with another poster's view that there is a point where one might feel one "needs" an e-bike. I've given a couple of good examples as to why. You appear unable to understand or accept this.

If someone who is young, fit and healthy choses to ride an e-bike that's fine. I don't understand why someone who fits the description would chose an e-bike but this is their choice. If the OP has a feeling of guilt over using one this is his problem not mine, I don't care what anyone rides so long as they ride.

As I said earlier old age is a state of mind, age is clearly a count of years but old is an attitude. Neither of the individuals I described could be described as old or decrepit. You chose to put people in a box defined by your own perception of ageing. I do not know a single person who is old or decrepit but I do know plenty of people who are 65+ some of whom have serious health conditions which they live with and manage very well. Regardless of my state of health or age I would be insulted if someone described me as old and decrepit. It really isn't a very pleasant way to speak about an individual.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm sorry I completely disagree with you that I am perpetuating guilt. All I have done is agree with another poster's view that there is a point where one might feel one "needs" an e-bike. I've given a couple of good examples as to why. You appear unable to understand or accept this.

If someone who is young, fit and healthy choses to ride an e-bike that's fine. I don't understand why someone who fits the description would chose an e-bike but this is their choice. If the OP has a feeling of guilt over using one this is his problem not mine, I don't care what anyone rides so long as they ride.

As I said earlier old age is a state of mind, age is clearly a count of years but old is an attitude. Neither of the individuals I described could be described as old or decrepit. You chose to put people in a box defined by your own perception of ageing. I do not know a single person who is old or decrepit but I do know plenty of people who are 65+ some of whom have serious health conditions which they live with and manage very well. Regardless of my state of health or age I would be insulted if someone described me as old and decrepit. It really isn't a very pleasant way to speak about an individual.
Your first example was old age. It really was. Honestly, have a read if you don't believe me.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You guys should consider those that have crossed wires in their brains and want a trike! And i do, really want a trike.

But i'd need to overcome the social stereotypes of such a contraption. Other than those closer to cycling who still might consider those riding a trike to be old, with a big white beard, peddling furiously to the next pub for a pint of proper warm brown bitter, There are some that will point and laugh because they might think its hilarious that i have never learnt to ride a bicycle, or a fat man can't ride a bike or whatever...

In retrospect, life is full of these prejudice's and in the end it comes down to a big fat SO WHAT!

Ride what you want, do what you want and for the reasons that you want (within the confines of reasonableness and law)

LJR69

At 51 every time I go up a steep hill on my gravel bike I swear my next bike will be an e-bike. I've been really impressed with the technological advances over the past couple of years. To be honest, and speaking purely for myself, I actually do like slugging away and eventually getting to the top of a hill (where I damn near collapse in a heap) when riding roads/gravel routes.

However where my Mountain Bike is concerned I will absolutely go with an e-MTB if and when I replace it as really the fun for mtb is the downhill and natural trails, and less about killing yourself on an incline (which to me are just a means to an end in mountain biking).

That really is the attitude I don't understand, "Oh there's nothing wrong with them, but I'm not old & decrepit enough to have one!"
well you exaggerated what gavroche said for effect but his sentiment as he expressed it seems absolutely fine to me. It's basically my attitude - and of a lot of other cyclists of all types I know. They are not ruling them out/dissing them. Relax.

So do I, but why bother posting in a thread about ebikes saying you'll only buy one when you're old & decrepit?
well actually such is your ongoing obsession that you haven't really read the original post properly. The OP is thinking of buying a non powered bike and is seeking advice on that.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
To be fair, i'm not a fan of the former or latter, and I'm lukewarm about the supposed benefits of the middle two, but I've no issue with ebiking.
Regarding disc brakes, I have them on my Roubaix and feel much safer with them when it is wet or down a very steep hill. Would you go back to all round drum brakes on your car?

Regarding disc brakes, I have them on my Roubaix and feel much safer with them when it is wet or down a very steep hill. Would you go back to all round drum brakes on your car?
mm - this thread is taking something of a turn (maybe to get away from some of the frantic ebike posting) but must say I don't see what cars have to do with bike engineering. I sure wouldn't get in a car which depended on four thin bits of Vbrake pad - but I'm perfectly happy with them on my bikes.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
mm - this thread is taking something of a turn (maybe to get away from some of the frantic ebike posting) but must say I don't see what cars have to do with bike engineering. I sure wouldn't get in a car which depended on four thin bits of Vbrake pad - but I'm perfectly happy with them on my bikes.
It was just to emphasize the change in technology. In the first TdF in 1903, they used cork pads for braking then rubber pads were introduced and steel wheels to upgrade the wooden ones, Normally, I would like to think that new technologies improve older designs.

I might if the car (plus luggage) only weighed 20kg.
But then my bike crashes have never been down to inadequate braking (and I've locked up a back wheel a few times on tarmac) - maybe your experience is different ...

Top Bottom