My ebike but I miss a normal bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I own an ebike, as well as other ”traditional” bikes.

The old saying the “best insert item of choice here here” you have is the one you’re using”. So, whichever bike Im riding/enjoying is the best bike I have. At that moment.

That said, for me I ride my ebike when 1) its windy, or 2) I may otherwise choose to NOT ride that day would I not have an ebike in my garage for being tired, sore, etc. 3) it’s a poor day air quality-wise where I live, etc.

I wouldn’t hope for a monogamous relationship with my ebike, unless health or economics dictated it, but it IS a nice and frequently welcome addition to my bike selection.

D

Deleted member 26715

well you exaggerated what gavroche said for effect but his sentiment as he expressed it seems absolutely fine to me. It's basically my attitude - and of a lot of other cyclists of all types I know. They are not ruling them out/dissing them. Relax.
well actually such is your ongoing obsession that you haven't really read the original post properly. The OP is thinking of buying a non powered bike and is seeking advice on that.
Move on, it's beneath you

I am considering an ebike for windy days and days when the route I want to do just looks too much, but this digressed from the op who is asking the opposite, and the answer to the op is the same as to everyone who asks on here about wether they will use a bike, no you won't if you buy the cheapest, heaviest bso from halfords with bits of suspension hanging off. This is what the ops old bike sounds like to me, and something a lot of people would struggle to ride distance and height on. So to the op I would say the fact you have bought an ebike is immaterial, if you like riding then buying a half decent road bike will enhance your riding pleasure and on days when you don't feel like you have the energy but want to do the distance use the e.

I might if the car (plus luggage) only weighed 20kg.
But then my bike crashes have never been down to inadequate braking (and I've locked up a back wheel a few times on tarmac) - maybe your experience is different ...
Blimey don't you weigh owt then 😉 touring bike only as ancient cantis on and I have to admit the experience of trying to stop it in torrential rain on a long descent with around 140kg to haul up had me wishing for something more effective but they did the job, but not with any great haste.

Nice shift of the goalposts there ... but (playing by YOUR rules now), 140kg is a tiny fraction of a car's loaded weight, wouldn't you agree?(and how often do you get upto 60mph-or-more?)
That is why brakes on cars are much more important, and few owners would choose the older tech just to save a few quid.
Bikes are different :smile: (thank the lord!)

p.s.
try replacing your old brakes, and using decent-quality pads+rims. Do you put £10 tyres on a family estate car?? :P

D

Deleted member 1258

A woman in her 70s and a man with a heart condition are surely the epitome of old age and, well, not exactly decrepitude but something close.

Do you mind! I've got a heart condition, I'm not decrepid in any way.

Nice shift of the goalposts there ... but (playing by YOUR rules now), 140kg is a tiny fraction of a car's loaded weight, wouldn't you agree?(and how often do you get upto 60mph-or-more?)
That is why brakes on cars are much more important, and few owners would choose the older tech just to save a few quid.
Bikes are different :smile: (thank the lord!)

p.s.
try replacing your old brakes, and using decent-quality pads+rims. Do you put £10 tyres on a family estate car?? :P
I have decent pads and rims, but still no fun coming down the col de la machine in torrential rain with four panniers and a back rack 🤣 I was actually agreeing with you that discs are overkill, they don't increase the available friction between tyre and surface so if you can lock up a rim brake then you are achieving the max braking force possible. I would also argue, particularly if touring, I can true a wheel on the roadside, but I doubt I could sort a warped disc.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I have decent pads and rims, but still no fun coming down the col de la machine in torrential rain with four panniers and a back rack 🤣 I was actually agreeing with you that discs are overkill, they don't increase the available friction between tyre and surface so if you can lock up a rim brake then you are achieving the max braking force possible. I would also argue, particularly if touring, I can true a wheel on the roadside, but I doubt I could sort a warped disc.
You can bend a warped disc back into shape with an adjustable spanner.

gzoom

Über Member
Beautiful day, no need to rush, so did my commute on my road bike today rather than eBike. My conclusion is all bikes are equally enjoyable, and you simply have to pick the right one for the job.

Lovely sunny day with no baggage to carry = road bike. Cold/wet/dark day with 5kg of work gear to carry = eBike. Everyone is happy :smile:.

Top Bottom