my first fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wotsthat

Regular
Had a beauty of a fixed made for me several years ago .Must say took me a while to get used to
and then one day was out and on turning right at a busy junction sadly couldn't get my foot out of the spd
- There was me lying in the middle of the road - back to rat traps for me

OP
OP
wotsthat

wotsthat

Regular
Had a beauty of a fixed made for me several years ago .Must say took me a while to get used to
and then one day was out and on turning right at a busy junction sadly couldn't get my foot out of the spd
- There was me lying in the middle of the road - back to rat traps for me
i suppose thats more to do with the spuds than the fixed

Waterwheel

Regular
By the way one very serious problem that I found with fixed and single speed bike is that the bearings in the back wheel wear out quite quickly. I had two fixed gear bikes for a few years and every year I had to replace the back wheel because the bearings wore out and the wheel would wobble from side to side. Yet the back wheels on other types of bikes lasted for years. Does anyone know why this is? Even when I bought a new wheel for a single speed bike that too would wear out within one year! I met a woman cyclist who told me she had the same problem and had to keep replacing the back wheel every year.

Sharky

Guru
By the way one very serious problem that I found with fixed and single speed bike is that the bearings in the back wheel wear out quite quickly. I had two fixed gear bikes for a few years and every year I had to replace the back wheel because the bearings wore out and the wheel would wobble from side to side. Yet the back wheels on other types of bikes lasted for years. Does anyone know why this is? Even when I bought a new wheel for a single speed bike that too would wear out within one year! I met a woman cyclist who told me she had the same problem and had to keep replacing the back wheel every year.
Not had that problem.
I did have a Miche track hub go on me though. The spokes ripped the large flange hub. Somebody told me that the hubs were intended for use on smooth velodromes and riding on rough roads stressed them more than they were designed for. Sounds plausible, but wouldn't know if there was any truth in this.

It could be that a lot of fixed wheels you get nowadays are for the lower end of the market and just not as durable. I've been riding a mavic elise for quite a few years without any problems.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Possibly from over-tightening the chain.

mangid

Guru
Not had that problem.
I did have a Miche track hub go on me though. The spokes ripped the large flange hub. Somebody told me that the hubs were intended for use on smooth velodromes and riding on rough roads stressed them more than they were designed for. Sounds plausible, but wouldn't know if there was any truth in this.

Exact same happened to to a Miche track hub that I had several years ago. I now swear by Mavic Ellipse

mangid

Guru

How quickly is 'quite quickly' ? I run Mavic Ellipse, they're sealed bearing and never have any issues. I reckon on 50K + miles. The front rim obviously wears out from breaking, at which point I just replace both, but the rear still spins fine at that point.

Sharky

Guru
Exact same happened to to a Miche track hub that I had several years ago. I now swear by Mavic Ellipse
Yes I meant Ellipse (not elise) . They are very good.

Waterwheel

Regular
Possibly from over-tightening the chain.
That could have been one of the causes because once I got it back from a bike shop after a repair and the chain was far too tight. The wheels used to wear out within one year of cycling. I used to cycle a lot though. But I notice a slight amount of play in thr back wheel after just four months. It was ever so tiny at first but gradually got worse and worse. Maybe it was because the wheels were cheap. But I used to pay about 60 to 80 pounds for a rear single speed wheel. Maybe that is too cheap for a decent single speed bike.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
You shouldn't need a new wheel just because the bearings have gone. If the bearings are cup & cone, it's possible that the hub might have to be replaced, but that's about the worst case.

Top Bottom