My First Inconsiderate Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having picked up cycling, I finally spotted the first inconsiderate (imho) cyclist early this morning as I was heading towards London Bridge. The guy was clearly an experienced cyclist but he was riding outside the cycle lane. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case. I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns. Could see the occaisonal cars slowing down and changing lanes. Others were more less sticking to the lane.

ps. I am well aware that a cyclist does not need to use the bike lane.

col

Legendary Member
There could have been some dust, can cause alsorts of problems dust you know.^_^

Perhaps he was actually being considerate, maybe hey considered other cyclist that are being forced to use them or considered that in using them and potentially having an accident would inconvenience traffic. Its not just the condition of lanes why as to folk dont use them, one biggie is they guide the cyclist to where they don't want to be restricting their movement, putting them outside the drivers view and setting them up for left hooks, smidsy etc.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Having picked up cycling, I finally spotted the first inconsiderate (imho) cyclist early this morning as I was heading towards London Bridge. The guy was clearly an experienced cyclist but he was riding outside the cycle lane. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case. I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns. Could see the occaisonal cars slowing down and changing lanes. Others were more less sticking to the lane.
Well. How wide is the cycle lane? Are there any side roads opening onto that cycle lane? Are there any left hand bends in the road there? How fast was the cyclist going? Was it really a problem that cars had to change lanes to overtake? How far away and at what speed do cars pass you if you do use that cycle lane? Etc, etc.

yello

There are any number of reasons for the cyclist to be doing what they were. I personally wouldn't assume he was being inconsiderate. At least, not for the sake of it.

Though I have to admit to not knowing exactly what you mean Arrowfoot. Like MrHC above, I have questions.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!

"Inconsiderate" to whom?

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Got to be the poor comprehension week. I think I will just break the paragraph into bullets without changing anything else

1. The guy was clearly an experienced cyclist but he was riding outside the cycle lane.
2. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case.
3. I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns.
4. Could see the occaisonal cars slowing down and changing lanes.
5. Others were more less sticking to the lane.
6. I am well aware that a cyclist does not need to use the bike lane.

Let me know if there are other questions.

BSRU

A Human Being
Got to be the poor comprehension week. I think I will just break the paragraph into bullets without changing anything else

1. The guy was clearly an experienced cyclist but he was riding outside the cycle lane.
2. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case.
3. I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns.
4. Could see the occaisonal cars slowing down and changing lanes.
5. Others were more less sticking to the lane.

That would make me an inconsiderate cyclist as I never use the bike lanes in Swindon as they would put me in a poor road position.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Why would anyone use bike lanes if they are placed in a poor road position. Rules 61 and 63 of the Highway Code are very clear in that they advice the use of Cycles Lanes only when it practicable and it is not compulsory.

So why would you be an inconsiderate cyclist?

That would make me an inconsiderate cyclist as I never use the bike lanes in Swindon as they would put me in a poor road position.

yello

Got to be the poor comprehension week

Wow. Way to go in endearing yourself.

Arrowfoot said:

Yes, this one....

"Inconsiderate" to whom?

And also...

I'm intrigued as to why you think the guy was being inconsiderate. As a self-confessed newcomer to cycling, do you think you might be mistaken?

You say "I finally spotted the first inconsiderate (imho) cyclist early this morning" - why "finally"?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

And me, as some of the cycle superhighways are less than super when it comes to making any actual sense.

Yeah, what's the problem?

Dan B

Disengaged member
If there's another lane to use when overtaking, and if cars are moving at appreciable speed, it seems like it would be very sensible to use one of the two available general traffic lanes and have the overtaking vehicles use the other one. Much more room than if you were using a narrow bike lane and they were overtaking in the nearside lane

BSRU

A Human Being
Why would anyone use bike lanes if they are placed in a poor road position. Rules 61 and 63 of the Highway Code are very clear in that they advice the use of Cycles Lanes only when it practicable and it is not compulsory.

So why would you be an inconsiderate cyclist?
Because many inexperienced riders do not know any better, I still see many cyclists using the double yellow lines as a cycle lane and weaving around the drain covers.

Top Bottom