My First Inconsiderate Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
And if being unable to parse "I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns" means I have poor reading comprehension, well, yeah, guilty as charged. You "sort of" slowed down? But this insouciant and carefree deceleration didn't mean you were able to "get him wrong"?

Dan_h

Got to be the poor comprehension week. I think I will just break the paragraph into bullets without changing anything else

1. The guy was clearly an experienced cyclist but he was riding outside the cycle lane.
2. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case.
3. I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns.
4. Could see the occaisonal cars slowing down and changing lanes.
5. Others were more less sticking to the lane.
6. I am well aware that a cyclist does not need to use the bike lane.

Let me know if there are other questions.

Other questions?

Yeah, how about point 6. If you are well aware that cyclists don't need to use the cycle lanes then doesn't that kind of mean that he has a perfect right to ride outside the cycle lane without justifying it to other road users, including you? If he is clearly an experienced cyclist (really hard to tell, it is possible that he got a new bike and all the kit for christmas :whistle: ) then perhaps he knows something that you don't about the behaviour of traffic etc along that cycle route.

anweledig

I very rarely use cycle lanes - too much crap in them and no guarantee other road users will notice you (particularly when approaching junctions). If I'm on the main carriageway I am far more likely to be noticed. I don't think I am inconsiderate just looking out for my own safety. As a driver as well I am happier if other cyclists are noticeable and (perhaps unsurprisingly) don't care if they are on the roads at the same time as me.

Blue

Legendary Member
Don't you guys & gals realise that Arrowfoot, as a new convert to cycling(or troll), is still in 'inconvenienced car driver who doesn't have a life mode' so he/she can't help being indignant towards cyclists, even when on one him/her self.

Soon the wind blowing across his/her face will enable him/her to chill out and learn to stop pouring scorn on cyclists who happen to be riding along doing absolutely nothing wrong. :whistle:

Enjoy your cycling Arrowfoot - if you have a bike that is!

400bhp

Guru
Questions:
1. What speed was Mr Inconsiderate travelling at?

2. Can you post a google map link so we can all see where this occured?

3. What were traffic conditions like? heavy, fast flowing, stop start etc.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Got to be the poor comprehension week. I think I will just break the paragraph into bullets without changing anything else

1. The guy was clearly an experienced cyclist but he was riding outside the cycle lane.
2. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case.

In addition to my previous one, just one more...

Do you always start new relationships in such a patronising manner?

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.

Are you on the blob at the moment?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Welcome to Cyclechat Arrowfoot :hello:

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
OK, I'll break them down into bullets without changing anything else:
Well.
  • How wide is the cycle lane?
  • Are there any side roads opening onto that cycle lane?
  • Are there any left hand bends in the road there?
  • How fast was the cyclist going?
  • Was it really a problem that cars had to change lanes to overtake?
  • How far away and at what speed do cars pass you if you do use that cycle lane?
Etc, etc.

I think I and a lot of other people replied on point 2, its not always the condition of a cycle lane why as folk don't use them, ie the position the cyclist in what can be a dangerous location.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member

A) I would be interested to know how you could identify him as "an experienced cyclist"; and B) why being one and not using a cycle lane are contra-indicated.
See your bullet point 6. below.
So he rode in a consistent manner, as opposed to "sort of" doing something?
4. Could see the occaisonal [sic] cars slowing down and changing lanes.
That is to say, you observed normal traffic flow.
5. Others were more [or] less sticking to the lane.
And...
So...

Please see above.

Bicycle

Having picked up cycling, I finally spotted the first inconsiderate (imho) cyclist early this morning as I was heading towards London Bridge. The guy was clearly an experienced cyclist but he was riding outside the cycle lane. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case. I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns. Could see the occaisonal cars slowing down and changing lanes. Others were more less sticking to the lane.

ps. I am well aware that a cyclist does not need to use the bike lane.

Welcome to the open debating chamber of CycleChat, Arrowfoot.

I confess; when I read the OP I didn't see what made you think the cyclist was inconsiderate. I've been following the thread as it grows and I still have no idea.

I am an experienced (but probably dreadful) cyclist. I don't use bike lanes. Many experienced cyclists abhor them. Having given a little thought to the way I and some other experienced cyclists ride, I thought the following might help:

If I think there's another road user near me, I sort of speed up and then sort of move across. Sometimes I sort of slow down to see if I got him wrong. Sometimes I just sort of stay where I am and more or less stick to the lane. It depends.

If I judge another road user to be clearly experienced, I am often unsurprised if he sticks to his guns. I sort of expect experienced road users to stick to their guns.

I also sort of expect inexperienced gunsmiths who rely too much on Superglue to stick to their guns.

That was a joke.

400bhp

Guru
If that joke was a glue, it would be a golden gloy glue, circa 1983, with a little bit of glitter stuck to it - vintage!

Golden Gloy, not heard of that for a while.

That takes me back

(when the traffic flowed freely and man and car filtered in perfect harmony)

Top Bottom