My First Inconsiderate Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

This looks a lot more interesting than I thought. Lots of hand holding, lit pathways and directional signs needed. Maybe a bit vaudeville for the odd joke as it splatters.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Hi Arrowfoot,

I'm pissed and make no sense either!

Luv ya tons.

XX

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Thanks for the welcome. I did notice in an earlier thread that they did struggle to read the lighter side of you until someone pointed it out.

I am now contemplating graphical animation as the bullet list was also a challenge. ;)
Welcome to Cyclechat Arrowfoot :hello:

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

"2. Certainly understand if the lane was poor with potholes and whatnot but it was not the case.'
3. I sort of slowed down to see if I got him wrong but he stuck to his guns."

I suspected that was the case and they did not read point 3. One of the things that I learnt to rely on is the actions of cyclists ahead of me and most people presumably do the same as it alerts others of possible dangers ahead. I watched him and he was cycling normally and there was nothing unusual along the way.

I spoke to a work colleague and he suggested that this guy has "puncture phobia" as debris tend to accumlate closer to the kerbs.

I think I and a lot of other people replied on point 2, its not always the condition of a cycle lane why as folk don't use them, ie the position the cyclist in what can be a dangerous location.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Thanks, good point. My work colleague suggested the same. I used the lane and it looked ok to me.

I very rarely use cycle lanes - too much crap in them and no guarantee other road users will notice you (particularly when approaching junctions).

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Sounds sensible and I do the same. Just could not see it with this guy.

I often use cycle lanes and paths but on some roads I will stay in the carriageway, in primary, as if I was driving a car. The decision is often made by local knowledge and my intensions later on along the road.

OP
OP
A

Arrowfoot

Sorry, missed this out. First noticed him near Potters Field and all the way to London Bridge. Speed was about 12 Mph. I think at least the first part was Tooley Road. Sunday morning and traffic was light.

Questions:
1. What speed was Mr Inconsiderate travelling at?

2. Can you post a google map link so we can all see where this occured?

3. What were traffic conditions like? heavy, fast flowing, stop start etc.

400bhp

Guru
Sorry, missed this out. First noticed him near Potters Field and all the way to London Bridge. Speed was about 12 Mph. I think at least the first part was Tooley Road. Sunday morning and traffic was light.

Can you posy a google maps link?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Traffic was light, and there was another lane available for overtakes: I'm still not seeing any kind of case being made for the cyclists's supposed inconsiderateness.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I tend to avoid cycle lanes like the plague. When they aren't full of debris, they are full of cyclists. I much prefer to mix it with the traffic but I am usually going a bit quicker than 12mph

Cycle lane?? What the hell are those ... don't have those in wisbech?
Besides, 90% of the local population come from overseas where they drive on the right, meaning
they are perfectly happy to pull waaaay across the road to pass a cyclist.
.... Unlike 78 year old doris in her 2 year old nissan micra who moves over exactly 38 cm's,
forgets to accelerate, and then pulls back in when she's level with my bottom bracket. (True).

Top Bottom