My first puncture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

Didn't feel very well at work today and decided to get an earlier train home. Thought about leaving the bike and getting the bus to the station but decided I could hack it. It was pouring with rain as I left so got soaked. Then about a quarter of a mile along the road, I realised there was a bit of tree foilage on my tyre - so I stopped and grabbed it to remove it. Off it came....or should I say out it came as it actually had a huge thorn embedded in the tyre! Pssssssttttttttt ! I thought about stopping at the side of the road and repairing it but thought it best to walk it back to work to repair and catch the next train. Got to work and got the wheel off, tyre and tube off and replacement tube in....only to find my pump was broken! Could have cried as still felt really rough! So my bike is in bits in the basement at work. Tomorrow is another day so have packed a working pump and keeping my fingers crossed I can get it fixed.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Unlucky! Aldi are doing bike stuff on Thursday - that includes a track pump that might be worth buying and leaving in work just in case...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bad luck, we all feel for you.

A couple of suggestions, you don't say what sort of tyres you are using, while no tyre is totally p*nct*re proof, some are better than others. The likes of Schwalbe Marathons and Conti GatorSkins have a reputation for being more resistant than most. If you are looking for a pump to carry with you then the Topeak Road Morph is worth a look. Hope that is of some use.

domtyler

Über Member
We've all been there Janey! Don't worry, it's days like this that make us appreciate the ones where the sun is shining and the wind is behind you! ;)

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

Hairy Jock said:
Bad luck, we all feel for you.

A couple of suggestions, you don't say what sort of tyres you are using, while no tyre is totally p*nct*re proof, some are better than others. The likes of Schwalbe Marathons and Conti GatorSkins have a reputation for being more resistant than most. If you are looking for a pump to carry with you then the Topeak Road Morph is worth a look. Hope that is of some use.

Schwalbe City Jet. Will plump for Marathons next time as have heard much better reviews of those. Forgot to mention though that while I was checking the inside of my tyre before replacing the new tube, one of my male colleagues walked past and was shocked that I was changing the tube myself. He takes all his to the LBS to have them changed! ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
domtyler said:
We've all been there Janey! Don't worry, it's days like this that make us appreciate the ones where the sun is shining and the wind is behind you! :blush:

Exactly, my first club run. I had a puncture as soon as we moved off, didn't even make 100 yards...;)

Top Bottom