My first road tax comment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I find completely ignoring them and reassuring myself that they are on the way home to service their mother works best.
 

GrasB

Legendary Member
Location
Nr Cambridge
Drop the VED, and add it to fuel duty, and the argument will go with it.
Plus you tax the driving style of the driver. The more aggressive & dangerous you drive the more fuel you use for the same vehicle so the more you get taxed... win, WIN, WIN! :biggrin:
 

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
One that I have been meaning to try out:"You don't pay road tax"
"If you mean General Taxation then yes, I do"

IF the conversation continues:"WTF are you talking about?"
"You said that I dont pay for the roads, everyone does. Whether they have a car or not"
"You dont pay for the roads"
"Yes I do, and so does your mother"
"You what?!"

The convo should end there.
 
Location
London
One that I have been meaning to try out:"You don't pay road tax"
"If you mean General Taxation then yes, I do"

IF the conversation continues:"WTF are you talking about?"
"You said that I dont pay for the roads, everyone does. Whether they have a car or not"
"You dont pay for the roads"
"Yes I do, and so does your mother"
"You what?!"

The convo should end there.
Maybe drop the mother reference and you wont get into anymore scrapes whilst out on the road. Just a thought...
 

Strick

Guru
Drop the VED, and add it to fuel duty, and the argument will go with it.
I've been saying this for years.
My wifes car covers about 4000 miles a year at a push, and we pay £215 (from memory) for that silly little bit of paper.
My car, 12000 miles, £30 per year.
OK, so its done on emmissions, blahdy, blahdy, blah. Well my car is more economical, and not as harmful to the environment etc. But only when you compare like for like mileage etc.
Crazy.
 
Bring on VED for bicycles (zero rated) and add the administrative costs to those that moan about bikes not paying VED – win win!
 

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Location
Scotland
I am having fun on Wikipedia with relation to road tax. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_tax#United_Kingdom

I just removed the relation to 'road tax' from just after Vehicle Excercise Duty in the UK section. It did read: ...required to pay Vehicle Excercise Duty, commonly known as 'road tax', which is...
Now reads: ...required to pay Vehicle Excercise Duty which is...

That should read Vehicle Excise Duty.

Please remove all references to "Vehicle Excercise Duty" or some government minister might think that's a good name for a tax on cycling!


GC
 

Alun

Legendary Member
Location
Liverpool
It seems to be called "Vehicle Tax" on the DirectGov website and by the DVLA.
Less of a mouthful if you have to explain to the uninformed what happened to their Road Tax.
 

TonyEnjoyD

Legendary Member
Shoud get one f those motorcycle VED disc holders, clip it to the offside front fork and put a joke disc in showing £0.00 or "Exempt" then point to it if Mr CoqWomble starts a-ranting.
 
Top Bottom