My first Video commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
Yes you did, I just chose not to describe it quite as emotively...

Come on BM, you know there is a big difference between aggressive and assertive cycling. I certainly don't think Jonny is a bad cyclist. He is assertive, holds good road positions, and holds a good speed which helps him integrate. However, on occasions I think (on this video) he is a little aggressive, i.e. filtering past two cars at lights when he could sit behind, squeezing down the left side of a bus where there wasn't much, if any space, filtering down the left of an HGV etc.

I think to suggest that I don't understand that assertive cycling can increase a commute time is a little harsh. Remember I have been chastised on many occasions in the past for filtering too much!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Mikey thanks for “having my 6” on this one, but I don’t want you and mag to fall out over it.

Mag’s got a fair point and I respect his comments (he's not judging me, just offering advice).

Interestingly, when you watch the video at “normal” speed, it all looks a little…well…dull and not at all aggressive or assertive, just lots of wheezing and puffing.

Mag, I do agree with Mikey tho, to get through London, I can become a whole lot more aggressive (both on the motorbike and on Chitty), but most days I just sort of pootle along.

In a few days I’ll update with a standard run (once the thrill of the headcam has worn off and I forget I’m wearing it)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hmm, I don't think Jonny is cycling "aggressively" in the video. That's just normal, even fairly restrained, London cycling to me. Jonny, it's not about protecting you, but about what I really think about your cycling.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm loving the vid, the high speed chipmunk element and the vrrooom vroomm noises makes it all the more fun. Tempting to get a headcam myself....!

I gotta say I don't think that you're particularly aggressive as a cyclist and would often filter myself in similar ways that you have done taking into account lights,roads users and conditions-I've seen some pretty hair raising cycling out on the streets of London and think on the whole that's a pretty sound commute- perhaps regular London commuters become a bit immune to it though. Some streets were familiar for me but not part of my daily commute- I tend to take the road option through Vauxhall cross - prefer it to cycling through the tunnel

thomas

the tank engine
BentMikey said:
Hmm, I don't think Jonny is cycling "aggressively" in the video. That's just normal, even fairly restrained, London cycling to me. Jonny, it's not about protecting you, but about what I really think about your cycling.

I don't think I'd cycle like Jonny in Norwich or back home in Woking...but if I was in London, other than maybe undertaking some of the time I'd probably do it pretty much the same.

I can understand that in London, getting to the front of every set of lights can make a difference...however, on the most part as long as I can get through on the green there aren't that many lights around here for me to worry about it. Just depends on the route.

Cycling style looked fine....Great choice of camera though - guy who recommended it must have been awwssoommee :biggrin:

We should start a little 'muvi micro wearers' club...exclude the likes of Mags with their posh bullet cameras :smile:. We could have club days, and doughnut fridays .... all sorts :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
BentMikey said:
It's London mate, in rush hour traffic you can lose 10-20 minutes on a commute as long as Jonny's if you don't filter assertively.

Ah, that would explain the death rate in London... :biggrin:

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
jonny jeez said:
Sure, I used the standard Windows Movie maker package, it ships with windows (or perhaps windows office).

Annoyingly my vista PC at home and my office PC have two different packages and I cant do all the same stuff on both...like speed up etc

As far as you-tube is concerned, I'm new to that too, so tell me how you get on and we'll learn together:smile:

Superb. I did try that app but it told me it couldn't work on the video format I had, mp4. I have a bracket for my Nokia E71 and did a test record of a commute this evening. Needs a bit of compressing at 30 minutes in length and 107Mb. :biggrin: Plus maybe the language needs bleeping after being cut up and shouting "get in the right f***in lane then next time you f***in moron" followed by a bit of blaspheming. :smile: Plus whilst being a good res it does seem to lack the quality of the muvis dark recording. I'll do a morning (day light) commute test soon and see what I can do with it.

Abs

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
HJ said:
Ah, that would explain the death rate in London... :biggrin:

HJ that's hardly a fair comment...

thomas said:
I can understand that in London, getting to the front of every set of lights can make a difference

Filtering is not default tbh - it's not wise to try and get to the front of every set of lights but it's about commuters being smart about how they filter

stargazer

Vermiculturist
Jonny,

Good video and great chipmunk sound effects. :biggrin:

I used to live at Bellingham (up the hill on the right immediately before Catford Bus Garage) so I'm familiar with most of your commute but a bit fuzzy on the Ladywell - Crofton Park - New Cross section. It was interesting to see the changes in traffic (i.e. the number of cyclists) and bus / cycle lanes since I left London in 1996.

Thanks for posting. Now I want a bike cam too!

Danny (stargazer)

thomas

the tank engine
ttcycle said:
Filtering is not default tbh - it's not wise to try and get to the front of every set of lights but it's about commuters being smart about how they filter

Okay. I miswrote that. I wasn't suggesting you had to, but where as here there are times it is safe to and I choose not to, in London, I probably would go further forward.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Jonny, it's not about protecting you, but about what I really think about your cycling.

Yeah, right...your an old softie at heart!:biggrin:

ttcycle said:
I'm loving the vid, Tempting to get a headcam myself....!
I tend to take the road option through Vauxhall cross - prefer it to cycling through the tunnel

Speak to Thomas, he has the lowdown on all things camera related, and the tunnel thing is just an excuse to take a break, I know Mikey takes the gyratory too...phew too far for me

thomas said:
Cycling style looked fine....Great choice of camera though - guy who recommended it must have been awwssoommee :smile:

We should start a little 'muvi micro wearers' club...exclude the likes of Mags with their posh bullet cameras :smile:. We could have club days, and doughnut fridays .... all sorts :biggrin:

He he

stargazer said:
Jonny,

Good video and great chipmunk sound effects. :smile:

Thanks for posting. Now I want a bike cam too!

Danny (stargazer)

I should be on commission now!!

Thanks all, some really helpful comments and criticism’s, If you check out my channel, you will see some of the footage slowed down a little (especially the artic undertake) and it all looks far less exciting.

I may upload larger sections so that you can make more "accurate" assessments...I'm a glutton for punishment

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
ttcycle said:
Originally Posted by HJ View Post
Ah, that would explain the death rate in London... :thumbsup:
HJ that's hardly a fair comment...

Hence the evil grin :smile:

Londoners like to make exaggerated claims about how much more dangerous it is riding there compared with the rest of the country, even though the figures don't support such claims... :cry:

jonny jeez said:
Mikey thanks for “having my 6” on this one, but I don’t want you and mag to fall out over it.

Mag’s got a fair point and I respect his comments (he's not judging me, just offering advice).

Interestingly, when you watch the video at “normal” speed, it all looks a little…well…dull and not at all aggressive or assertive, just lots of wheezing and puffing.

Mag, I do agree with Mikey tho, to get through London, I can become a whole lot more aggressive (both on the motorbike and on Chitty), but most days I just sort of pootle along.

In a few days I’ll update with a standard run (once the thrill of the headcam has worn off and I forget I’m wearing it)

:sad:

I'm far too long in the tooth to fall out with anyone over disagreement about cycling styles!

I just don't see the need to squeeze past a (virtually) non existent space to the left of a bus, or to go in front of two cars at lights. I'm not sure how that would save 20 minutes....:smile:

I'm also confused about all this talk about London being so different from the rest of the world. Has anyone who says this actually cycled in Glasgow! :biggrin:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
jonny jeez said:
the tunnel thing is just an excuse to take a break, I know Mikey takes the gyratory too...

Nah Jonny - it's 'cause we double hard b*stards!!:biggrin:;):sad:

Though seriously, it's a case of longer route actually works out quicker as you're flowing with the traffic!

Magnatom we should do a commuter swap -I'd love to cycle up in Glasgow!!:smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
:sad:

I'm also confused about all this talk about London being so different from the rest of the world. Has anyone who says this actually cycled in Glasgow! :biggrin:

IIRC, av traffic speeds in London are closer to 10mph and Glasgow closer to 20mph. Traffic congestion in London is considerably worse than in Glasgow...

Top Bottom